HP-41 30th Year Anniversary

HP-41 30th Year Anniversary

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:54 pm

The HP-41 was announced on July 16, 1979. This year will be the 30th anniversary.

The annual HP Handheld Conference, HHC (1), for 2009 will have a theme of the HP-41 for the 21st Century.
The official announcement of the Conference will be made as soon as the website is finished (March '09).
One question that will be addressed is the interest/need for a 41 like system using current technology and the 2009 website will address the direction HP is actively taking for the future while other manufacturers are hesitating.

I hope to see all interested HP Calculator users at the HP Conference facilities in Vancouver on October 3 & 4, 2009 .

X < > Y,

Richard

(1) Previous HHC conference links may be found at: http://holyjoe.net/hhc/
Richard J. Nelson

Re: HP-41 30th Year Anniversary

Postby Garth » Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:40 am

Wow, it's great to hear from Richard Nelson. I found out about CHHU just a little too late to join. Actually, if I had been a little quicker on the draw, I could have gotten in before it disbanded, but I don't think my one membership would have saved it. I got to one of the last meetings and met you, at your house in Orange County I believe. You still had the beard and looked quite distinguished. The experience there was outstanding. This was before the internet, and we could call a number with an answering machine to get the latest news. Richard always ended the recording with, "Happy programming!" (although that didn't seem like a very appropriate greeting after telling us that this was the end of CHHU!)

I can't make it to the conference, but I would still like to ask whether they are open to our requests or are they just going to do whatever they want anyway. The few who know about this forum so far, and others who may join in the future, have interests that have not been met in newer technologies like the HP-50g. If HP is going to give us another 41, then make it a 41, not another another graphing "supercalculator." We have plenty of those already with tons of math power yet lacking in other areas.

An important part of the 41 was the I/O capability, somethng you can't get directly on something like an iPhone 41 simulator. I myself want something like HPIL. It probably won't be HPIL itself, but if it's USB, it must be able to act as a controller, and able to interface to several things at once, even if it requires an external hub to do so. It should also be capable of being a device. I have used HPIL extensively to simultaneously control, and take data from, many pieces of lab instrumentation on the workbench. There are various interface converters available to go from USB to IEEE-488, RS-232, parallel, etc., although we might need HP to provide the driver software since these things usually come more-or-less as black boxes with bundled PC software.

The new 41 should have keystroke programming that can be picked up quickly, but I don't think that necessarily precludes facilities for more-structured programming. Improvements I would suggest are a complex stack, and make the stack deeper, a dot-matrix display in order to get all the lower-case and special characters, including the Greek letters we use in engineering all the time plus things like ±½° and r², and the potential for running other languages. Greater speed and memory are something I know we'll get without even asking.

I want great paper manuals like HP wrote so well in the early 1980's. In spite of the search capabilities of an online manual, I consistently find online manuals to be slow and frustrating. I have an HP-50g here and went through the User's Manual which totally failed to interest me. It is very poorly laid out, wastes my time with examples in algebraic notation (which should probably have a separate manual if the calc is capable of algebraic as well as RPN/RPL) and didn't get to any programming. I would add that thorough documentation of the OS (even if NOMAS) must be available to the user as it was for the 41 and 71.

I would like the new 41 it to be able to use standard batteries, perhaps a pair of AAA's. Imagine if the original 41 depended on a special rechargeable battery pack that became unavailable soon after the 41 was discontinued. As the packs died, owners would have to jerry-rig batteries to keep their 41's running. I still use my 41cx every day. Although I could wish that N cells were cheaper and more widely available, at least availability is not a real problem.

As for other wishes: Windows is out. If they put Windows on it, I absolutely will not buy it. That's a non-negociable. Linux might be good if the device must be so complex, then printer drivers and all kinds of software would be free for the downloading. PC interfaceability is nice, but the calc should not be dependent on a PC for software development. Preferably the display will not be color, as it's an unnecessary battery hog. Although menus can be useful, I don't like to be forced to use them. Durability of the whole product is extremely important; so if the OS in in flash, it should be able to hold it for 100 years, not just ten, and the keyboard must last too. We're not talking about a cell phone that the gadgeteers will abandon in a year or two for the next hot thing.

I suppose I'll keep thinking of more things I do and don't want after I post this. I have been shy to post such wish lists before on MoHPC because the mentality there is a little different, and because calls for wish lists, there or elsewhere, whether for calcs or other small comuting devices, often become wish lists for cool-factor consumer-type stuff instead of a tool for engineers and technicians.
Garth

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:47 pm

Hello,

Garth mentions some very good and true points and I would like to add my 2 cents worth.

Regarding the HP-41, I have probably written, edited, and published as much material related to the HP-41 as anyone. I have probably forgotten more than I now know. I have seen the machines built during a visit to the factory, and I have worked with HP engineers on various HP-41 products. I could write a book. I have built and published the details of various interfaces to the HP-41 and I am reminded of these as I am unpacking 15,000 pounds of HP Calculator materials that have been in storage for many years. So far I have unpacked a bakers dozen 41s and most of the ROM/RAM/EPROM boxes in various forms from card readers to breadboards. I also found an old list of HP-41 Modules which I want to compare with the good lists found on the Internet. I tracked HP-41 modules because of the HP-41 ROM project and I have unpacked slightly over 100 HP-41 modules so far.

First, let me mention the HHC 2009 Conference. HP is providing the facilities, (and a lot more, see last year's report) so the cost will be very low - on the order of $20 - dependent on costs. You may see the details at:

http://holyjoe.net/hhc/

so I won't waste space here. The news related to HP-41 enthusiasts is that the Venue has been moved to Fort Collins Colorado. This may be closer to you offering an opportunity to more easily attend. There will be two sessions dedicated to the HP-41. Oops, space is limited.
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm

Continued . . .
We are talking of a calculator swap meet in conjunction with HHC 2009. Stay tuned, all activities are user driven so everything depends on expressed interest. Now to Garth's questions, etc.

There is a book that is being written (for the Conference) for reconditioning 41's, classic's, etc. How to and hands on repairing of HP-41's will be one of the (longer) sessions. Yes we are open to all suggestions, it is a User Conference.

After CHHU I worked for EduCALC for ten years and I had to support all of HP's machines. I was still an HP-41 user even though Bill Wickes came to my house in Santa Ana CA with several (for beta testing) HP-28C's. I resisted "converting" to RPL. After all, I lived and breathed the HP-41 for so many years. I wrote articles on the HP-41 for the HP News letter (as I do, and have done for all issues of the current version "HP Solve"). One day I locked my HP-41 in my desk at EduCALC and I forced myself to really learn RPL on the pre-released HP48GX that I had. One of the first programs I wanted to write was to print RPL programs in column format just like it was done for the HP-41. Oh, how ignorant I was. RPL is different just like Chinese and English and are different. RPL is the true RPN. Still the HP-41 was a revolution compared to the 65 and 67 just as the 48 (28) was a revolution compared to the 41. I scale these machines as four generations with a 5th generation still (hopefully) to come. The HP 41 offers a simplicity that addresses a very large proportion of problem solving and there are many lessons to be re-learned from it.
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:26 pm

continued . . .
Garth mentions the I/O of the HP-41. He rightly laments HP-IL. HP-IL was 20 years ahead of its time in terms of engineering and performance. How many HP-IL enthusiasts have "played" with an HP-IL interface that would drive three separate (time differentiated) IL loops? The sexless connectors, and the noise isolating transformers provided conservative engineering for noise immunity unheard of in today's interfaces. What hand held today is capable of connecting to over 600 battery powered (times three?) devices? This is another example of lessons to be re-taught to HP based on the HP-41 system of 30 years ago.

Garth mentions key stroke programming and the need for an expanded character set of a such a machine. The segmented HP-41 display limited the character representation on the HP-41 and modern displays address this issue nicely. Perhaps the real issue here is user programming. The machine must be easily programmed by the average user. I have studied this issue for 35 years and I am convinced that the "programming personality" is naturally limited (genetically?)to a small percentage of the general population (like music or mathematics). Still, the HP-41 "language," FOCOL, was simple enough that anyone with a need to solve a problem could write a workable program. Even the astronauts wrote docking programs on the most powerful (based on size, weight, power requirements) computer available in 1979. This is another aspect of the HP-41 system we want HP to re-learn, and the reason we will address these issues at HHC 2009.

Manuals. Oh, now you touch on a topic near and dear to my heart. I have worked on several of HP's manuals and I have . .. to be continued.
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Continued
When a calculator has a couple hundred functions a similar number of pages could document these functions. A 200 page book is considered the limit for books published today because people do not dedicate time for reading. When machines increase in power in terms of functions - over 800 in the RPL models - the manuals could easily be over 1,000 pages to document the machine. The reasons calculator manuals today are not as good as they were in the past include limits on size, weight, cost and writing talent. A popular user complaint is the lack of examples and this issue was addressed in the HP-41 PPC ROM manual. HP simply does not have the documentation resources of the magnitude that were applied ($35,000/page) to the PPC ROM manual. This is another point to be made to HP. Have you seen the HP-20b manual. How do you like it's writing style? Manuals will ALWAYS be a processor based product topic of complaint.

Garth specifically mentions the HP-50g manual. Well, stay tuned, there is a better one coming very soon and if you have been following HP's efforts in this area you will understand. Check articles on the HHC 2009 website that address these issues as well. HP-41 using readers have seen new discoveries and applications being made related tot he HP-41 AFTER 30 YEARS. I have often said that the User community never has enogh time to master one generation before the next one comes along. History is proving this observation. If Generation four is two ot three times more complex than generation three, will it take 60 or 90 years to full master it?

Batteries? Current AAA/AA cell technology packs1/2.5 AH of energy using today's technology. HP did not do a very good job . . . continujed
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:16 pm

continued, last
wnen they converted their 3 cell machine to a 4 cell machine. Battery life was actually reduced. Imagine how long your HP-41 would last if it used AAA cells? We used $2 Lantern batteries for our HP-41's in the early 80's. Connecting to this battery is an interesting story in User - HP communication and influence. These issues are also lessons we hope to present to HP at HHC 2009. An HHC is a very rare opportunity to directly communicate with HP. The new business model just doesn't allow serious technical customer communication. Having an idea presented, and hearing 50 of its most dedicated customers saying in unison "YES" does have an impact.

Garth says NO! to a windows based machine. That is a "difficult" issue and this will also be addressed at the Conference. A very important consideration is the development tools required to design a modern machine. The old days of HP custom microprocessors are gone.

Wish lists. This concept, is also obsolete. The next generation cannot be based on the previous generation - 28, 48, 49, 50 are all the same generation (four) - it must be new. More memory, more speed, more pixels, longer battery life, or more functions do not make a new generation.

Here is the real question for HP-41 users. What great HP-41 System features may be incorporated into Generation five? Think in terms of basic user needs and current technology. I hope to see HP-41 users, other than the Committee, at HHC 2009. X < > Y, Richard J. Nelson.
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Garth » Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:43 am

Thankyou for the great write-up. I can hardly imagine having a better representative than Richard Nelson at the conference.
Garth

Postby Richard J. Nelson » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:12 pm

NEWT Update
Several Conferences ago we had a presentation on an HP-41 replacement processor called NEWT. Here is an update on that project. See the NEWT Manual at the link. The idea is to send him your machine/board and he swaps it out. Now speed (my biggest complaint) won't be an issue). OK serious 41ers what do you think? Is there interest?
----- Original Message -----
From: Monte Dalrymple To: Richard Nelson Sent: Monday, July 13, 2009 8:31 PM Subject: Re: HHC 2007, now HHC 2009

Hello Richard,

It's good to hear from you again. I would like to attend the conference, but it seems unlikely as I still am not really able to spend a night away
from home.

As far as the NEWT project, I have finally found the time (involuntarily,while I look for work) to return to it. I am nearly done with the schematic, and will be doing the board layout during the next couple of weeks. The current spec is available at http://www.systemyde.com/pdf/newt.pdf if you are interested.

The magazine article is finished and the editors like it. It can't be formally accepted until I have the schematic and board design done though. At that point the editors will decide whether it will appear in the print version or in the online extended version. If it's the print version it
won't be out before the first of the year. If it's in the online version it should appear before the end of the year. The magazine has already accepted two unrelated articles from me (one print, one online) this year.

In your opinion, is there still any interest in the project from the community? As I've said before, I didn't get that impression the last
time I was at a conference (2007).

Thanks,
Monte
Richard J. Nelson

Postby Garth » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:26 am

The idea is to send him your machine/board and he swaps it out.

If I went for it, I'd try to get another 41 on eBay (I suppose it wouldn't even have to work) to send to him first. The one I use every day is too valuable to risk.

Now speed (my biggest complaint) won't be an issue).

Will the HPIL be any faster? The 71's HPIL was about 35 times as fast as the 41's, but I doubt that a faster 41 would make my existing HPIL/XIO combination module go much faster than it does now. If the NEWT has to slow down for modules we use all the time, then there needs to be a way to put their ROM images in faster memory, and the HPIL will have to be re-designed, or there won't be that much advantage.

OK serious 41ers what do you think? Is there interest?

What do I think? First the good. I think he has done an amazing job. A couple of huge advantages are of course that we can get a big performance increase without the NRE of tooling up for new cases and keyboards, and the NEWT will apparently not need much of any code development beyond what's already there and working from HP.

At least at the speed I read through the document, I wasn't able to tell for sure if we would get any more memory with the NEWT. It said it can address up to 4096 registers instead of the 41's 1024, but that existing 41 software can only address 1024 anyway. Having four times as much would be a welcome improvement (if we can actually use it), but not huge.

On the down side, it aparently does not address forming more characters in the LCD as I mentioned earlier, and I have to wonder if battery life will be super short if the NEWT resides in an FPGA. Outside of re-using existing ROM code (both mainframe and plug-in), I don't think there's particularly a need for a new 41 to be exact-code-compatible with the same XROM numbers and so on, and it would probably have to change anyway in order to address a lot more memory than the Nut processor could, which would be appropriate if we will then have the speed to handle tons of data received over the interface (ie, not limited to keyed-in data like most other calcs are). I was doing a lot of 8K-point complex FFTs on the 71 years ago, something the NEWT won't be able to do. I know many people say "That's what I have a PC for," but I've given my reasons in other posts for still being interested, centered partly on ultra portability well beyond that of a laptop, and stability over the years demonstrated by the fact that some of the programs in my 41 and 71 have been in their memory continuously for 20 years for regular use.

It would be nice to be able to run other languages on it too. This requires keeping fairly large source code text files and having a decent editor. Although there was a Forth for the 41, it was so limited so as to be mostly useless. Even the Forth on the 71 was poor, but I know some of it was just bad writing, since I was able to speed up some of the words in the Forth module by up to 13x simply by rewriting them in Forth-- not even making them primitives. Performance was no doubt hampered also by the architecture which was optimized for the best mix of battery life and speed with a lot of 12- and 15-digit floating-point operations with the technology of the day, and not requiring a gillion contacts on modules.

I guess that if I could find an inexpensive 41 on eBay and get the main board swapped out all for $100, it would be worth the experiment. It's definitely not the total solution I'd like to see though. That could change depending on further information that surfaces.
Garth

Postby Architect » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:02 pm

If you click on Google's new quick link to check your spelling on whatever you are attempting to post, the post will immediately be lost.

What a thrill it is to read Richard Nelson again!

As a loyal member of the HPPC I must say that Richard brough a great sense of joy and excitement to the HP-41. It was so much fun receiving his monthly news letters and seeing the the HPPC pack come out and to later meet him at the 10th anniversary in Chicago where I showed him my elephant hide case lined with steerhide. There were many 41's layed out there on display of different colors and button colors along with different configurations. So good to see him continuing.

I also talked with him on the phone on several occasions. Once when the hideous blow-up occurred and once when he was recuperating from a hospital visit where he learned how to run the 48. It always struck me as astonishing that HP neve hired him on and simply considered that a corporate stupidity and ego. No one contributed more to the excitement of the 41 than Richard.

As an architect I considered the physical design of the 41 as passe from the get-go, an example of the off-center product design of the times, but having studied engineering I loved it's functionality. It really destroyed the once ubiquitous slide rule and made calculating fun. But the new LCD display would no longer let you program in the middle of the night as the 35 would let you with it's LED display.

My 41 was always around until some battery guy sold me a similar battery which may have overpowered it.

So when I learned of Warren Furlow's 41emulator for the PC, I was overjoyed. Upon downloading it I discovered that it was about the same size as the original and ate too much of the real estate of the monitor so I implored Warren to make a tiny version. He asked me to draw one up and I did by reducing the space between the buttons since finger spacing was no longer an issue. Warren hooked it up, calling it "Tiny", and then I did a colorized version and he hooked that up as well calling it "Color". It was fine and worked especially well when working in CAD or watching a number of Stock Charts.

Recently I darkended the background and sent it to Warren and he replied that I should get in touch with Antonio Lagana in Adelaide. Antonio is working on his PhD in Quantum Physics and developed a HP 41CX emulator for the iPhone/iPod. I checked into his site at AL Software and was stunned at what he had done and commenced talking with him. He encouraged me to develop a new skin and we also developed a new typeface since I was concerned about visibility and nightime visibility. Interestingly, Antonio and I had both gone to GMI and Michigan.

Pending Apple's approval the new skin, which my 16 year old daugher says is far more interesting, will be available shortly. It amazes me how small the iPhone is and that it can completely contain the functionality of a HP 41 plus a ribbon printer, all for the absurd price of $15.00. Antonio's work is beautiful. And it illustrates the large, encompassing view of Steve Jobs.

It would be my hope that all High School students could be taught the HP in math class so that they could learn the rudiments of programming for the simple joy of it. This would be the perfect venue for it... hook in some serious functionality along with the recordings, and pictures and entertaining things along with the communicaion. The only bad thing that I could imagine would be that now a quick student could flash the answer across the classroom. :D.

It is fun to hear the wish lists developing and all that but a great answer exists right now and it can communicate back and forth with the desktop and Warren's work as well.

Richard remains one of my favorite people of all time. And Warren and Antonio are my heroes too, along with Chris Zakrewski from Stockholm who translated the manual in to Swedish years ago. (You would have to know Microstation to understand this.)

I have dedicated my efforts to Richard, whether or not he likes what I have none. ;)

Bravo to you all! And long live the 41CX!

Bill Dickens
Architect
Architect

Postby Garth » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:13 am

I must say that Richard brough a great sense of joy and excitement to the HP-41

absolutely, along with Bill Wickes, Joe Horn, Wlodeck Mier-Jȩdrzejowicz, and a few other very talented and dedicated people in the user groups, one of which (CHHU) was headed by Richard Nelson.
It amazes me how small the iPhone is and that it can completely contain the functionality of a HP 41

I have to strongly disagree, because one of the HP-41's outstanding strengths that is still absent in most other handhelds is the ability to interface to lots of things at once, including thousands of models of IEEE-488 industrial and lab equipment on the market, through the HP82169A HPIL-to-HPIB converter. An iPhone cannot do that. The HP-41 is where I got my start in automated test equipment, connecting to a half-dozen lab instruments at once, controlling their settings and taking data from them, then crunching the numbers and logging and printing the results. Most of the engineers in the lab where I worked when I got my introduction had their own HP-41's.

And this one too:
But the new LCD display would no longer let you program in the middle of the night as the 35 would let you with its LED display.

I never tried programming with the lights off, especially a 35 which was not programmable. If I could see the 41's keyboard well enough, I could always read the LCD; but that was definitely not true of the TI-58c and 59 with their LED displays when I had to work outdoors. You had to cup your hand over the display to see it, like with the original digital watches with LEDs. They also kept me from working very long when away from the charger, since they were battery hogs.
Garth

Postby Architect » Sat Jul 25, 2009 3:30 pm

Hey Garth,

Richard headed up the HPPC when I learned about him and that lasted for quite some time, never heard about the other goup having moved to the Amiga and then the PC.

Yes, the IL capability was wonderful. Imagine Steve implementing that on a somewhat larger version of the iPhone with a screen about the size of the 41. A real professional machine. I know that would be wonderful on a construction jobsite. Research drawings, collect data, it really is an unimaginable world that is developing.

I do remember vividly programming the golden section laying in bed late at night in Frank Lloyd Wright's Goetsch Winkler House in Okemos using a HP machine that had a red LED display. The 41's display was not very good at all. The design was passe from the get go. Entasis was never necessary.

The point here is that it would be great if all the kids throughouth the world learned the HP Keyfunky language in algebra class in High School. And kids study habits are different than a professional's usually. They have been known to work late at night with the lights out.

I think that it would be exceedingly wrong to eschew the emulators. Warren Furlow's for the PC is fine and you can use the tiny version for simple tasks without it hogging up the monitor. It was a joy to have that on the PC. Antonio Lagana's iPhone/iPod Touch emulator is fantastic as well and it has the attribute of convenient portability of the original HP Calculators.

Anything that advances the HP-41 is great in my book. Antonio was not aware of the machine when it came out and he came upon it maybe 10 years later but he did fall in love with it enough to go through the trouble of creating the most powerful APP for the iPhone.
Architect

Postby highfell » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:25 am

Bill

I came across the HP41 for the first time thanks to Antonio"s great App and I share your eulogistic praises to him for it is a beautifully crafted piece of work. Whilst I am slowly slowy building up a collection of real HP41 stuff, dare I say it, I do actually prefer the I41CX to the real thing, as its very portable, it has loads of Roms, printer and is very easy to customise !!

However the purpose of writing is to say how much I enjoy your new Skin for the I41CX. I now use it all the time rather than the traditional skins. I hope you don't mind but I was the one to suggest further customisation in relation to having multi-coloured options for the digits on the LCD.

Cheers

Nigel
highfell

Postby Architect » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:28 pm

Thank you Nigel,

My efforts started out with Warren Furlow and his emulator for the Windows environment. I argued that the old clunky design was too large to be useful since it gobbled up the real estate. Warren agreed to empower a smaller version if I came up with one so I squeezed things on down and he published it at the Tiny version. Later I offered to colorize it and he offered that as the Color version which is up an running on my desktop all the time. After deciding to give it more contrast I reworked the image a little and sent it in to Warren again and he told me to get in touch with Antonio Lagana and mentioned that Antonio had created an awseome App for the iPhone. I took Warren's suggestion and recommendation and got in touch with Antonio.

These two guys have a mutual admiration society with good cause.

Working with Antonio has been a sheer pleasure. Ironically we both went to General Motors Institute and to the University of Michigan. Antonio got the special degree in Science Engineering, my degree was in Architecure. Antonio's background is stunning, being an Italian Argentinian having grown up in Japan. Since i'm 71 tomorrow Antonio is much younger but somehow we have communicated a lot. He is a sheer delight and makes me proud of being a human being.

Seeing the iHP41+ in operation on my 16 year old daughter's iPod Touch is absolutely wonderful. And hold on, Antonio has more enhancements coming, Display color controls, etc., and he tells me that the IL can be emulated as well and he is battling with writing his PhD thesis and working on the i41.

So nothing will be missing.

And thinking in the long term, I fully believe that this App now turns the tide of the notion that iStuff is only for fun and entertainment. The iPhone and iPod Touch are now serious calculating instruments for everyone, including the engineers and scientists. It would be my dream to see Antonio's emulator taught in every Algebra class in high school worldwide. The kids should learn how a prgram transforms an equation into a quick solver.

HP Keyfunky as I always called it is a very neat programming language that all can quickly learn. (I wish that it was vastly expanded.)

Now back to Richard and the gang. These guys revealed the joy of programming and calculating to an enormous number of people years ago.
Their camaraderie and spirit really made it exciting for a number of years until the Brits and Canadians came up with the Amiga.

If the reunion comes off I would certainly hope that Richard holds out formal invitations to Warren and Antonio. Although I probably can't be there, I know that it would be and extremely exciting time for everyone. The HP41 lives and even better and more joyful.

Antonio picked the name Bauhaus and that is a very insightful choice. I live in a Mies Complex and he was the head of the Bauhaus before Hitler forced him out. Fortunately he came to Chicago and the world got to see his love of light.

Thank you all, each and every one of you, there has neve been a greater group of guys.
Thanks again Nigel, you are a man of eminently good taste.

Bill
Architect

Postby Architect » Sun Aug 23, 2009 4:35 pm

Oh BTW, a crappy TI Calculator can now cost over $100 while the iHP41CX+ costs $15.

Go figure!

Bill
Architect

Postby Architect » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:40 am

There will be people who will wish for HP to re issue the 41 or enhance it a little.

Why not just use what Antonio has done... it takes our Phaser to heights unimagined by HP. Clearly Steve is a great visionary.

HP has devolved into a printer manufacturer and cartridge company. The inspired creativity has gone a long time ago. Interesting how corporations get their functionaries and the functioaries ultimately take over and run it down. They are typically uninspired, sometimes politically astute but they really don't have what it takes.

So when you see Antonio and Warren at work you see inspired young men building a better world.

Steve has really been an inspired one for qute some time now. He surely beats Gates for intelligent and tasteful creativity and remember that early on he built a little black box with buttons on it that he used to call people all over the world... So, in a way things have not really changed at all for Steve... he simply came up with slicker and slicker packages.

If Steve were really sharp he would promote Antonio's work because it adds so much to his work and there really is a chance now that the whole world can come to understand the joy that the 41 brought and is still now.

Bill
Architect

Postby Pete_ » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:35 pm

What a welcome surprise to find the forum. 30 years since the 41 came out. Amazing. :)

I have an hour or so to fill before going to pick up someone from the airport and found this forum.

Greetings to fellow enthusiasts, and especially Richard Nelson. My 41C was purchased in late 1980 - 2050A02293: a much loved, expensive treat for a young student. I subscribed to PPC in the early 80s and even have a PPC ROM from those days. The 41C sits in the drawer and doesn't do much work anymore, but, over the years I did much programming and really used the machine a great deal. I trained as a civil engineer and now work in estimating and really all calculations are now done on a computer. I am heavily into programming in VBA for Excel these days. Yes, it is only a small percentage of the population who program. I pored over the early synthetic programming articles and Bill Wicke's excellent book that opened a whole new world. The PPC module was the most tremendous undertaking. Magnificent.

I spent many hours learning & using synthetic programming - and recovering from crashes!! :lol:

I purchased a 48 (from EduCalc) when they first came out and remember being amazed at the very powerful functionality and programming available. Though, as more of a 'numbers person', the 41 continued to do the most work. I'd programmed on earlier calculators, but the majority of my calculator programming was on the 41.

I'm a little surprised that there might be much need for powerful calculators still - with computers so ubiquitous. I'm looking forward to browsing some other posts and re-kindling fond memories.

Kind regards & best wishes to all, Pete

PS I'm in Australia. P
Pete_

Postby jotne » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:06 pm

Welcome to the forum Pete :)
HP41CX with CCD module . HP41CV . HP42S + many other HP calculators
jotne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to General Discussion