timeout problem

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

timeout problem

Postby landrum0260 » Sun May 02, 2010 7:03 pm

I just purchased a used 41cv and discovered that it turns itself off after about 15 seconds from last key stroke. If I keep strokeing keys more often than every 12 seconds or so, it will keep running untill I have longer than 15 seconds between strokes. Did not make any diff if I was in user or program mode. I changed the batteries and noticed no difference in operation. is there a timeout/shutdown program that can set various lengths of time between actions to save battery or is there a part brokein in unit.

Thanks, any help greatly appeciated... Jim
landrum0260

Re: timeout problem

Postby Garth » Mon May 03, 2010 4:46 am

It's supposed to take about 10 minutes, and it is not adjustable. I believe that to truly fix it requires a hardware repair, but you can get around it by setting the continuous-ON flag, flag 44. That's a system flag, not a user flag or control flag, so you can't just do SF 44 on a bare 41, but you can do XEQ <ALPHA> ON <ALPHA> which sets it. The flag gets cleared if you turn the 41 off and back on; so you have to set it every time. I have mine set flag 44 as part of a auto-run startup routine every time I turn it on, but that takes synthetic programming or a module with the right function since ON can't be put in a program. If you're not that far into it yet, you might want to assign ON to a key since you'll have to use it right after you turn it on every time.
Garth

Postby landrum0260 » Mon May 03, 2010 3:05 pm

Thanks. will try that after I read up on flags, ect. Had my last 41 setup to do survey work in the late 80's. I used it until about a year ago when it just up and disappeared from my desk at work so am very rusty when it comes to programming and asignning keys. Any idea of what hardware fix(s) is needed and a place to send it? I may just return this one as I only bought it locally last weekend. Keys and everything else look great so may be better than what I can get on the web anyway. Thanks again, Jim
landrum0260

Postby Garth » Mon May 03, 2010 5:51 pm

I don't have any experience with them myself, but I have read many good reports of the work done by http://fixthatcalc.com . Apparently now they have quite a backlog though.
Garth

Postby landrum0260 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:14 pm

Thanks. will contact them and see if they know what part may be bad and how likely to be able to do 100% fix.
Jim
landrum0260

Re: timeout problem - 41CX

Postby JimHSoars » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:59 pm

I am renewing this thread since my 41CX has caught the same bug. I also put in new batteries. Can you folks recommend a repair facility as I suppose HP doesn't fix these any more.

Thanks.
- Jim
JimHSoars

Postby Garth » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:46 pm

fixthatcalc.com , as recommended above
Garth

Return to HP-41 Hardware