HP-41 Hard Shell Case?

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

HP-41 Hard Shell Case?

Postby Klaws » Tue May 25, 2010 4:39 pm

It was in the last 80s when I dropped my HP-41C, resulting in a completely broken display and some body damage. I got both repaired at HP. After that experience, I alsoways took care that my HP-41 was secure inside it's soft bag, which in turn was in an inside pocket with zipper, or inside a hard shell briefcase (especially when I took the printer along).

Nowadays, hard shell briefcases are out of fashion (having been replaced by soft laptop cases). And in the rare cases where I wear a jacket with inside pocket, it's primary function is to make me look more like a consultant - and not to provide secure storage for anything.

No, I don't want to wear the HP-41 on the belt.

I vaguely remember that, in the "good old days", some HP-41 owners had a sort of hard shell case for their calculator - which was not an original HP accessory but came instead from a TI calculator (perhaps the TI-58, but I don't really remember). Yup, there were the obvious jokes about "a TI calculator finally being useful for something" or such.

Anyway...I finally feel the urge to poesses a protective hard shell case for my HP-41 as well. Even if it might bear the mark of the TI ;)

I suspect that there might have been an aftermarket supplier who offered suitable hard shell cases. Or maybe someone remembers which cases from the competetion work well. Any hints, anyone?

Thanks, and best regards, Klaus
Klaws

Re: HP-41 Hard Shell Case?

Postby Garth » Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 pm

I never had the problem with the 41, but my 71 lost main (not freeported, IIRC) memory a couple of times in the early years, and I told a friend. He said his did that too, and he figured it was from buttons getting pushed in the attache case. I had a friend who was a woodworker make me a little open-ended box to slide the 71 in its soft case into, and I never had the problem again. That was about 20 years ago.
Garth

Return to HP-41 Hardware