Repair, black batten inside

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

Repair, black batten inside

Postby helissimo » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:37 am

Hi,
nice site here.
So my Problem is:
My HP 41C (~22 years) dropped down yesterday, no reaction anymore :o . If I press the keyboard down, everything ok, so the old conact story... I will fix it, seems to be not a big issue.
But as I opened it (of course, the posts for the screws are rotten), a black plastic batten (board) fell out. It is about 2.5 inch long (slightly more than the with of the calculator inside, or the same, depending where you hold it). Seems to be a cover of a edge. But which edge? :?: I tried to check the photos, but I did not see it anywhere. I wonder, if it is part of my problem.
Can anyone help?

Regards from Austria
Helissimo
helissimo

Re: Repair, black batten inside

Postby dlachieze » Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 am

Hello,

Can you post a picture of this loose part? It will help to understand what it is...

Regards from France
dlachieze

Postby johnboy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:26 am

If the piece of plastic has an "L" shaped cross section, then it belongs just above the display. It's not vital for operation.

Cheers,
John
johnboy

Postby helissimo » Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:13 am

Yes its that L-shaped thing. There was only one pssition, where it fits. Thanks for your replies.

For the repair, I did:
From a stainless tube, (thickness ~ 1mm), I had, I cut four about 2-3 mm pieces as an hull ("envolope") around the broken posts, without any glue.
So screws had some strenght in the thread again.
The glue will be applied the next time (hopefully not necessary).

Regards
helissimo
helissimo

Postby johnboy » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:09 am

Good to hear you have a successful repair - is it all working ok now ?. The SS tubing is a great solution, I wish I had some !!. I have heard of other people winding some thin(ish) copper wire around the posts and covering that with glue to form a tube. My approach is to open up the keyboard and replace the screw posts with nylon ones, drastic surgery !!

Cheers,
john
johnboy

Return to HP-41 Hardware