HP 41C DOESN'T WORK

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

HP 41C DOESN'T WORK

Postby aurelio » Sun Dec 12, 2010 10:38 am

Hello thanks for registration, I'm new on this board! :D
I have a 41c calculator which I bought used on e-bay; at the beginning I found a little problem in displayng the second and third characther from the left of the display: any segment not displayed properly, then I tryed to forget this problem and delay the fix of it. Yesterday I opened the calculator, thinking to find a bad solder joint between the keyboard printed circuit board and the display board as the_boxer did, or simply trying to clean the contacts (the battery ones were very clean). well, to replace the black paper cover I disconnected the CPU board form the keyboard.............the result was that at the beginning I had a lightly bad working calculator and now it doesn't work at all!!! The display doesn't show anything :shock:
I thought that maybe the CPU board was not touching properly the keyboard printed circuit. there is a connector that never I saw before (two white soft plastic stripes), I tryed to clean it with alchool (the display at that time was still showing something, whwn moving the claculator:segments letters and numbers). then I thought to fix it with a small amount of superglue around the bottom screw holes, so that the two printed boards were in touch, but as I told you The display doesn't still show anything :roll:

Anybody who can help me to fix this problem, or, at least to make a diagnostics?

Thank-you a lot
aurelio

Re: HP 41C DOESN'T WORK

Postby Garth » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:32 pm

there is a connector that never I saw before (two white soft plastic stripes)

If it's what I think you're referring to, that's a zebra strip, commonly used to make the contacts LCDs. It has hundreds of conductors per inch, perpendicular to the length of the the strip.

I don't know the direct answer to your repair question, but if you can't figure it out, fixthatcalc.com has an excellent reputation for fixing these.
Garth

Re: HP 41C DOESN'T WORK

Postby aurelio » Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:37 pm

Thank-you for your answer.
I don't think the connector I mean is the zebra one, bucause it's not near to the display, it's the one wich connect the CPU board to the keyboard PC....
i will go to check on the site you suggested, thanks
aurelio

Return to HP-41 Hardware