Simplest HP41 custom rom

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

Simplest HP41 custom rom

Postby twdeckard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:38 am

Greetings! What is the least expensive path to a custom HP41 module? Are there any hobbyists on the board who can burn an EEPROM for a fee? Is the best solution one of the NoVRAM variants and are these still available?

Thank you
Todd
twdeckard

Re: Simplest HP41 custom rom

Postby Garth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:48 am

Check with Diego. The NoV-64 page is at http://www.clonix41.org/Projects/Nov64/Nov64_00.htm . (His front page of course is http://www.clonix41.org/.) See if he will program it for you before shipping, with the module images you want in it, and how much for everything. I and others will be interested if you tell us what you find out. I've been wanting to get the NoV-64 with the 41Z and Sandmath and a few other ROM images in it, but I keep putting it off because my wife keeps wanting to do things on the house. ($$) Ángel Martin just made the keyboard overlays for these two modules available last week, and I ordered a pair-- $15 including shipping.
Garth

Postby twdeckard » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I sent a note to Diego this morning.

My need is fairly simple, I have a program I would like to preserve in ROM/non volatile. This could be as primitive as committing the current 2K application to an EEPROM or as elaborate as a large project to migrate all my current and future software to a re-writeable storage.

The software I am playing with makes extensive use of Extended Memory and is starved for storage. Ideally I would have a database of most, if not all, US airports and aviation fixes but today I have to pick a very very small subset.

I know there are more capable calculators that would solve this paradox for lower cost but I've carried the '41 since college.
twdeckard

Postby Garth » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:41 pm

I have a similar situation in that the other engineer in our small company tries to get me over to the HP-50g, but I have such an investment in the 41cx in terms of familiarity and the programs I wrote many years ago that I still use all the time and I don't really look forward to re-learning everything on the more complex 50g. I initially got into the 41 for its greater I/O capability to interface to many lab instruments at once. Although I seldom do that with the 41 anymore, I'm finding that the 41's support is apparently going to outlive the 50g's support. There is of course the 41CL transplant board now that makes it up to 50 times as fast and has about 150 modules built in, and third parties are still coming out with new things for the 41. Perhaps there will be something like a Micro-SD card interface for it soon.
Garth

Postby jotne » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:05 am

Another option is the go41cx
https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... 41cx&hl=us
Its an 41cx for android. You can use all the rom you like with this :)
HP41CX with CCD module . HP41CV . HP42S + many other HP calculators
jotne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to HP-41 Hardware