Repair needed HP41C

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

Repair needed HP41C

Postby merkaren » Sun Dec 11, 2016 9:19 pm

I would rather not futz about concerning wires and aluminum foil as a repair; too detailed and too consuming.

What is needed is repair of HP41C, original owner. Problem, corroded - destroyed battery terminals.

Its' been sitting here for some years as HP dropped the subject. What a group of users, proves how concerned we all are.

It did great calculations?!
merkaren

Re: Repair needed HP41C

Postby Garth » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:57 am

You can replace it with the real thing, not a jury-rigged thing:
http://www.clonix41.org/Maintenance/IO_ ... _Block.htm

Here's the process (linked on the page above):
http://www.clonix41.org/Maintenance/IO_ ... ide_v2.pdf

and a video:
http://youtu.be/jUTAZSEn-H8
Garth

Re: Repair needed HP41C, accelerated subject

Postby merkaren » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:55 pm

Thanks for the links to see the replacement of the board. At this moment I do not think I am capable of doing that, even if I had the board. Which brings up the question of do I need to find a board first or instead HOPEFULLY there is a person that can do the board replacement. To be specific as possible the corroded portion is the battery terminals, that is the actual contact area is corroded off by the remainder seems safe and good.

Likely I need to find a person that can do the board replacement or at least to talk to that person about costs, turnaround, shipping and handling and importantly success rate.
merkaren

Postby Garth » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:28 pm

There are a couple of HP-41 repair services linked in the HP-41 section at the bottom of my links page given in my signature line, but both of them are having problems now, apparently from bad health, and are not responding. (I give that info on the links page too.) Hopefully someone else will take up the banner and service these and keep them running for many years to come. If I had your problem, I'd at least get the flex circuit replacement I linked to so I'd at least have it on hand for when I find someone else I could trust to do the job, or for if I started feeling ambitious. The battery corrosion is the main and possibly only reason this part was made available.
Garth

Postby merkaren » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:34 am

Restatement of Post with new topics and hopefully solutions
Thanks for the handy assessment to the subject. At this time the upload of a Image that would show the terminals is being prepared. Unfortunately the photo software is not functioning properly and getting the image to the computer difficult not only that but the images attempted are not technical quality. Not sure how long to effect upload of photo, maybe such is not necessary. The terminals are not in terrible condition, but then again a tech would have to look at them to make a determination and cleaning. I see where this person tried to add small copper wire mass to one or two terminals and apparently tried affixing such with epoxy. Never the less the HP41C did not come back to life and I was surprised. Actually just one of the terminals likely has consumptive damage, but then the other three need proper cleaning. Am not sure that the new board is necessary and or such looks different than the small exposure of copper board seen at the battery terminals. How can the HP41 be tested for accuracy after the repairs?

Should the HP41work with the repairs done by this person? Is the upload system working and what image - photo software is compatible? Are there any quality Engineering schools or two year or one year programs of engineering or surveying that use the HP 41 or other hand held calculator? What other hand held calculators are there for complex or detailed mathematical calculations?

Am trying to recall what and if the the actual user manual mentioned a period of time in which the batteries needed to be removed and stored for later use and was there a battery level monitor...... . I recall that some road curves were calculated years ago much to the disbelief of a Licensed Professional Engineer that thought this person was a nuisance rather than capable of doing the work and results.
merkaren

Return to HP-41 Hardware