HP-41C Elastomeric "Zebra" Strip Connector

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

HP-41C Elastomeric "Zebra" Strip Connector

Postby mdominiak » Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:47 am

I have several HP-41C, and CV's with similar problems with the interconnects between the processor and main board. So far I've seen two types of elastomeric zebra connectors used, the older 41C used a circular dual tubular type connector with what looks like fine gold wires wrapped around the tubes. I have one where the membrane substrate around the tubes holding the fine wires cracked and flaked off. The second zebra strip type on a 41CV looks like a soft rectangular strip about an inch and a half long with embedded conductors pads within the elastomer spaced across the 16 connection pads. One of the elastomeric strips seems to be ok and I can get continuity through it with an ohm-meter, but the other strip doesn't seem to conduct any more. I wonder if this type of strip gets old and fails somehow?

I've seem a few references about replacing the zebra strips with soldered in wires between the boards, but just wondering if anyone has ever found a replacement source for new zebra strips with the proper .100 in. pad contact spacing that could be dropped in as replacements for the old zebra strips when repairing an HP-41?

thanks,
Mike Dominiak
mad57@cornell.edu
mdominiak

Re: HP-41C Elastomeric "Zebra" Strip Connector

Postby wfurlow » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:53 am

I have never heard of a replacement source for this. Many times the case does not apply the correct pressure as screws loosen or pull loose. Soldered wires solve all this.
wfurlow
HP.org Owner
HP.org Owner

Postby Garth » Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:09 am

Right away I thought of the Tech-Nit info I have in a file, but doing a web search on them, they seem to be out of business now. Certainly zebra strips are being made in large quantities today though, so it would just be a matter of find out where you can buy a quantity small enough for a calc or two. Doing a web search for "zebra connectors" turns up a lot of results. Fujipoly seems to be one of the majors. I definitely would look hard before giving up and soldering wires!
Garth

Postby dlachieze » Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:45 am

I would be very interested in a replacement for the strip connector other than soldering wires. I've a 41C with battery leakage that I'm trying to repair. I've already got a new flex PCB but I need also to replace the "zebra" strip connector for the CPU board.
dlachieze

Postby Peter Leary » Thu Sep 15, 2011 2:05 pm

Check out Paricon technologies web site. They have a very interesting elastomeric interconnect material
Peter Leary

Postby francois » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:08 pm

Hello,

You can find all sorts of elastometric zebras in lcd display modules
between the rear pcb and the front glass of the display.

The problem will be to press it with the very light screws of the 41

francois
francois

Return to HP-41 Hardware