Strange interpretation when reading barcodes in HP-41

82153A

Strange interpretation when reading barcodes in HP-41

Postby cmj1047 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:27 pm

Wrong code interpretation:

When I have build a barcode sheet some years ago, I have noticed a wrong interpretation when using very short printed barcode, nearly from 12 to 13.5mm length. (allowing up to 11 possible functions horizontally on A4 format).

I cannot remember the function (it was with HP-IL functions of Ext. I/O or Dev. modules) as I dit not keep the original uncorrected document, but when using the same density as other codes it was interpreted as another function, so I had to enlarge by 8% the barcode of that function to get back the right interpretation.

I have tried on 2 different Wand 1F with the same results.

Just for the fun I would be interested in similar experiences of others with the Wand.

Regards
Christian
cmj1047

Re: Strange interpretation when reading barcodes in HP-41

Postby beckermj » Wed Jan 06, 2016 2:25 am

Hi cmj1047,

Two things:
1. You can find the book "Creating Your Own HP-41 Barcode Manual" on the HP41.org website. This book tells you the exact spec that the bar code should be along with the tolerances.

2. I created a barcode generator program (for MAC only) which converts program lines into scannable barcode per the HP specifications. The downloadable zip file contains the program, a User Guide and the necessary bar code font! I suggest you get the font and the User Guide which explains how you load your font into your font collection and the appropriate font size/s you can use for the wand to accurately read.

I hope this helps,
beckermj

Return to Bar Code Wand