Am I going mad??

82160A

Am I going mad??

Postby Duncan » Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:52 pm

Hi All
Just a weird note, I have a FOCAL program called SAVEXM the contents of which seem to have no effect on the following:
I'am using V41 & ILPER V2.4 and DIR (with correct selection) to list drive contents
Selecting the HP9114B.DAT drive (IL ADDR 2) and using WRTP saves the SAVEXM program to that drive OK
Selecting the HDRIVE1.DAT drive (IL ADDR 3) and using WRTP fails to save the SAVEXM program to that drive
If I change the file name to anything but SAVEXM the file is saved OK??!!
To eliminate anything to do with the program I also tried
LBL SAVEXM
CLA
END
Same thing happens, unless anyone knows any better I'm sending myself to the funny farm!
Duncan
Duncan

Re: Am I going mad??

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:49 am

Greetings to the funny farm!
Hope you are allowed to bring your laptop there, so you may do some more tests.
Duncan wrote:If I change the file name to anything but SAVEXM the file is saved OK??!!

Did you also try...
  • file names of anything you have already on HP9114B.DAT (IL ADDR 2)?
  • to read back your SAVEXM with HDRIVE1.DAT (IL ADDR 3) selected, while it is not on that disk and got it anyway?
  • to erase/discard/purge SAVEXM from HP9114B.DAT before saving it to HDRIVE1.DAT?
  • with MANIO before WRTP?
Probably the read-back test of a program not on the selected disk could release you from your "new at home".
/M.
mike-stgt

Postby Duncan » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:52 pm

Hi Mike-sgt
Many thanks for those ideas. I shall try them out and post back!
Duncan
Duncan

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:30 pm

Sorry, it looks not very polite to add some more interrogations to all your unanswered questions. But with the time I learned that mostly it is easier to get others to discover the facts on their own. Just bluntly telling the actualities induces opposition.
An example: about your troubling/challenging/mind-shaking observations see HP-IL Module Owner's Manual, 82160-90001 (1981), chapter 'Using Multiple Mass Storage Devices' on p. 39 (p. 40 of the PDF you find in here).
What is quite close to RTFM ;)

Off-topic Note: I used the term 'fact', not 'truth'. And before you go sending yourself to the funny farm, turn your head, look around and perceive where you are now. Keep maximum distance from the funny farm, there you'll learn your truth is a mental delusion and facts are a special case of illusion. Better you take the advice from Einstein: "Never stop asking questions."
mike-stgt

Postby jeffcalc » Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:05 am

Mike provided the right reference to the section "Using Multiple Mass Storage Devices", but to summarize you should think the drives as a single mass storage unit, except for NEWM and DIR that are only targeting the selected drive.

This unusual implementation has its own benefits but can produce unexpected effects.
At the time of the HP82161 cassette drive, the user was warned by the first drive accessing the tape, and had time to think on what was happening.

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:28 pm

Hi All
Thanks for all your help. Thank you Mike-Sgt & J-F for bringing me back to ground. After looking at Mike-Sgt's helpful hints I realized that I didn't have a problem. Perhaps I need to send myself on a 2 week HP-IL refresher course (maybe Hawaii?) so I don't look like an idiot. In my defense I was doing things after a hard days work and was a bit tired and I am using multiple instances of V41 & ILPER so that didn't help either. At least you saved me from the funny farm!!
Thanks again
Regards
Duncan
Duncan

Return to HP-IL