HP 41 CX Survey Pac Module

Programs for HP-41

HP 41 CX Survey Pac Module

Postby cmoore » Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:38 pm

Hello, i am new to this site and need some help. I have 2 HP 41 CX's and have a Survey Pac Module that i cant seem to get running on either. It was operating fine on the original 41 but started having battery issues and now that i have new batteries themessage i am getting is "Non-Existent" I have sized each calculator for 016 as instructed in the manual but none of the routines are coming up. ANy help any one could provide would be greatly appreciated.
I also have the extended Memory module and the financial pac and the financial pac is working either.
Clay Moore
cmoore

Re: HP 41 CX Survey Pac Module

Postby Garth » Mon Jan 13, 2014 10:21 pm

What instructions are resulting in the "NONEXISTENT" message? Is it definitely trying to address a non-existent variable register, or could it be looking for a label or XROM function it can't find? If it's a register, how much spare program memory do you have? Is it enough to try sizing it for more than 16 variable registers to see if that takes care of it?
Garth

Postby cmoore » Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:47 pm

Thanks Garth for your response. Memory shouldnt be an issue due to there isnt any other programs installed on calculator. There is an extended memory module in port 1. I sometimes get the "MEMORY lOST" prompt on the screen when attempting to recall the Survey Pac functions. I am at a lost for what the problem is. Have been using this 41 cx since mid 80's with the Survey Pac and it only started giving me issues about a month ago. The calculator wouldnt come on when prompted, kept having to play with it, took modules out and put back in, when it did come on it would state "MEMORY LOST" and then when attempting to call up the survey programs from the module it would state "NON-EXISTENT" I have replaced the batteries and re-sized to 016. Tried a higher size and it dropped the decimal point and now shows a comma. I am no programmer so i have no idea what is going on. Thanks for the help.

Clay
cmoore

Postby Garth » Thu Jan 16, 2014 7:19 pm

For the comma-versus-decimal-point thing, it sounds like you just need to set flag 28, although I don't know why it would be getting cleared with a MEMORY LOST since it comes out of reset with flag 28 set.

Rarely (maybe once or twice a year), my own 41cx halfnut doesn't want to turn on when I press the ON key. Although I've never looked inside, I understand there's a little bridge PC board that handles the built-in time module (which I use all the time) plus the power-control circuitry and maybe the display too, and apparently the contacts are getting a bit bad. I bang the side of the calc on the heel of my hand and that always brings it back; but since the power to the time module was interrupted, I have to set the time and date again. However, the last time I got the dreaded "MEMORY LOST" message was when I was new at synthetic programming (using the byte grabber) in the late 1980's. I've had the programs that I use most in it continuously for 25 years, never having to re-load them (although I have edited them for improvements).

I wonder if your other problem is with the Survey module and not the calculator itself. If not, and if you can't figure it out and don't want to try fixing it yourself, Bruce Larrabee has a repair service at http://www.vintagecalculatorrepair.com/index.php. There was also Randy's repair service at http://fixthatcalc.com/ but he is temporarily turning away new repairs until he can get caught up. His website says he expects to be ready Jan 1, but there's no update yet, now two weeks later. (I have these links and many others in the HP-41 section at the bottom of the links page on my website shown in my signature line.)
Garth

Return to HP-41 Software