Enable SSL in hp41.org

Enable SSL in hp41.org

Postby syrou » Thu Mar 03, 2022 1:22 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if the site admin could enable SSL for hp41.org (both site and forums) so the browsing is secure. Otherwise things like passwords in logins are flowing through the Internet on the clear and that is not the best.

Thanks!
syrou

Re: Enable SSL in hp41.org

Postby wfurlow » Thu Mar 03, 2022 9:06 pm

I would like to enable it for the main hp41.org site but it runs on old software and I could not get a certificate created/installed/working. Upgrading the server is also problematic. The forum is on another physical machine that I do not control so that may be possible.
wfurlow
HP.org Owner
HP.org Owner

Postby syrou » Fri Mar 04, 2022 6:10 am

I understand. Just came to discover that SSL is not supported on HP41.org because I ran a report of the sites in my passwords keyring that are only having HTTP in the URL :) Hope that in the future it may be possible to get it enabled. Thanks!
syrou

Postby jotne » Fri Mar 04, 2022 12:56 pm

This is just a small server and has little interest from other than the people here.
I just run this as "fun" side prosjekt and has doing so for many many years.

Only thing to secure are the login credential.
I nerver have any equal password at any site and for the most of it I do use different email on every system.
If your email is a gmail and in the form of carl.sagan@gmail.com, you can just use carl.sagan+hp41@gmail.com
Any thing after + will be stripped off at gmail, so it comes to correct email, but tagged, so you can see what email it was sent to.
This way any script pikking up your email, will not get it to work on another system.

If I would try to change to SSL, I need to do a lot of work. Revers proxy server need to be upgraded. Certificate added, and updated every year. ++
So I do not think that will happen, if not any other are willing to take over the hosting.
HP41CX with CCD module . HP41CV . HP42S + many other HP calculators
jotne
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jotne » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:35 pm

You asked for it and now you got it.

Forum now uses a valid SSL
So you can now use:

https://forum.hp41.org/
HP41CX with CCD module . HP41CV . HP42S + many other HP calculators
jotne