Noob question:

Noob question:

Postby Panchdara » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:01 am

Hi. Can anyone advise how to edit the alpha register? I can append and delete, but how to move cursor and insert? Perhaps not doable but any guidance would be greatly appreciated - oh, nd same quetion for the HP42s.

Regards
Hugh
Panchdara

Re: Noob question:

Postby Garth » Sun Apr 03, 2022 8:39 pm

Funny—In all the decades I've used and programmed my 41cx, I've never even given a thought to editing the alpha register. I do edit ASCII files with the text editor, but that's different. I can think of a few clumsy ways to edit the alpha register, but it looks like the best of them is to use AROT (alpha rotate) to bring the place you want to edit out to the end, edit, then put it back with AROT again. I looked in my modules' manuals, and didn't find anything better.
Garth

Postby mike-stgt » Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:09 pm

Panchdara wrote:Can anyone advise how to edit the alpha register?

Simple questions provoke simple answers: RTFM.
But Garth's reply shows another facet of edit. So my query is, what exactly do you mean by "edit"?
There exist some string manipulation commands in several plugin modules, but that's rather for programming. In contrast the HP41CX offers an ED command, just save your alpha register to an ASCII file in XM, execute ED, modify the text, end edit and recall the chaned record. Simple as that. (No, actually not, it lacks a spell-checker.)
But -- I recomend to count the key strokes to achieve a change, may be type the text again might win. And a "finished" text in alpha can be put to imput mode again (see a. m. simple answer), so if the change is close to the RHS, this is probably your choice.

Best,
M.
mike-stgt

Postby Panchdara » Mon Apr 04, 2022 8:14 am

Thanks Garth & Mike.

For the record Mike, yes, yes I have searched the manual (and online) for alpha reg editing - failure. I was sorta looking for a similar method as is in the EQN editor is all.

That said, I'll look at ED but will probably concur that re-entering the string will probably be the shortest route.

Thank you both for your prompt and courteous replies. I shall persevere.

Best regards
Hugh
Panchdara

Return to General Discussion