"Standard" module "number" programs

Programs for HP-41

"Standard" module "number" programs

Postby Jordan Orlando » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:10 pm

The "Standard" module catalog begins with "CLSTK" and then the numerals "1" through "9" and then "0."

Calling these functions with "XEQ" (and a combination of "ALPHA" and "SHIFT" to type the numerals) produces a horizontally-scrolling display I don't understand, with a fixed-point number (meaning, with a four-digit mantissa) followed by two additional numbers prefaced by "Z:" and "T:"

The only manual for the "Standard" module is HP's "Standard Applications" booklet — which lists the individual programs so they can be manually entered (meaning, it's redundant to the module but doesn't explicitly refer to the module) — and I can't find the numbered programs in there.

Can anyone explain this? Thanks in advance for anyone's time and attention.

Jordan

ADDENDUM: It appears that these "programs" list the stack — like the "STACK" program does. (Of course I should have recognized the stack register names: X, Y, Z and T.) It's possible that all 10 digits simply skip to the next item in the catalog, which is "STACK." It could be an idiosyncrasy of the catalog.
Jordan Orlando

Re: "Standard" module "number" programs

Postby rprosperi » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:29 am

The book for the the 41's "Standard Applications" came in the box with 41C machines, to illustrate some sample programs. Years later, HP decided to sell a module which contains these same programs, and since the original manual existed, they did not go back and re-write it to describe the module, etc. (perhaps they did actually, but I never looked for a newer version).

"CLSTK", "1", "2", "3", etc. are part of the RPN Primer program on pages 8-13 in the manual. These are utility routines used in the RPN Primer, not stand-alone programs, but they appear in CAT-2 since they are global alpha labels (meaning they can be called by [XEQ] "1", etc.).

You can see these routines clearly in the listing on pp. 12-13.
rprosperi

Re: "Standard" module "number" programs

Postby Jordan Orlando » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:36 am

rprosperi wrote:The book for the the 41's "Standard Applications" came in the box with 41C machines, to illustrate some sample programs. Years later, HP decided to sell a module which contains these same programs, and since the original manual existed, they did not go back and re-write it to describe the module, etc. (perhaps they did actually, but I never looked for a newer version).

"CLSTK", "1", "2", "3", etc. are part of the RPN Primer program on pages 8-13 in the manual. These are utility routines used in the RPN Primer, not stand-alone programs, but they appear in CAT-2 since they are global alpha labels (meaning they can be called by [XEQ] "1", etc.).

You can see these routines clearly in the listing on pp. 12-13.

Thank you! That makes perfect sense...and yes, I can see the listings exactly where you said they were.

Another mystery solved thanks to this terrific community!
Jordan Orlando

Return to HP-41 Software