Users' Program Library Europe

Programs for HP-41

Re: Users' Program Library Europe

Postby mike-stgt » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:49 am

rprosperi wrote:Sadly it is unlikely [...]
LOL! Tnx 4 the details. That's like real life -- it's an experiment and extinction is part of the game.
Reminds me a bit to Old Babylonian maths, e. g. Plimpton 322, a fragment of a cuneiform tablet (part of it was lost or separated "recently" because there are traces of modern glue on the rhs), so today exist several ideas about its development and usage in ancient times. Obviously there was some know-how, but also the know-why?
In contrast to the users' libraries (warning: link lacks PC), where, also the know-why is well defined in calculator manuals, there is so much trouble with the know-how. No reproach, everyone does his best in this experiment. After I saw few of those routines I do not waste more time with it. But, frankly, it is likewise (but less severe) with the solution books, quite rarely I found something precisely applicable to my tasks.
My way was (and still is mostly, anyway) to develop my own solutions, they do what I like and I like what the do -- for me. There is some progress since old babylonian times (even though an HP Prime is not of much help for sophomores to deduce by method of least squares (a standard approach) the formula of arithmetic mean). There was no CAS arround when HP41 was introduced, but today it could help in some cases to find simpler routines. For me the PPC ROM manuall was a role model for programming (albeit there are flaws, e. g. in GN), first and foremost the program's exemplary documentation (a thorough description which deserves this term) what (also) leads to the principle: "think first".
/M.
mike-stgt

Postby ve3oat » Fri Oct 22, 2021 10:36 pm

Mike and Sylvain,

I am very glad to see that the discussion here has moved beyond my initial, simple question. Very interesting!

My goal was to swap the endpoints without changing the stack.

Mike, I thought you might have been doing something like that. In fact the very straightforward code that I wrote does, by accident, preserve the stack, too. (It might have happened unconsciously because of my early training, writing in assembler for a DEC PDP-8 in a small data acquisition lab.) Anyway, repeated runs of my program, based mostly on your code, find the stack still in the same order.

And the APPEND instruction. Thank you, both of you. I have been slowly working my way through the manual to try to refresh my memory of at least some of what I used to know. (Yes, I still have the original, paper manual that came with my first 41CV.) It is a slow process, and at my age ... well ... But all those links and references to on-line documentation that you gave me will not be wasted. Thanks for them.

My experience here has been most satisfying and my appreciation for your help would be hard to describe without sounding exaggerated. So I will simply say, Thanks very much to both of you for everything.

Code on!
... Martin
ve3oat

Postby mike-stgt » Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:35 am

ve3oat wrote:...because of my early training, writing in assembler for a DEC PDP-8...
Thus I have no doubt you may code on your own the (at the time missing) coaxial cable impedances program, which then will be worth to publish.
mike-stgt

Postby ve3oat » Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:45 pm

Oh, Mike, you give me too much credit. That was all many years ago, early 1970s, two careers ago. While I still remember some of the basic principles, I have long forgotten all of the tricks for optimizing and "neating up" etc. I can probably write an HP41 program nowadays that would satisfy my own needs, but I doubt anyone else would want to use it. "It won't be pretty", if you know what I mean. <Permission granted to laugh> Thanks for the thought, though. ;)
... Martin
ve3oat

Postby mike-stgt » Tue Nov 02, 2021 3:00 am

Here once more the listing, now with the "lazy T" as text append symbol.
BidirGC.gif
BidirGC.gif (2.74 KiB) Viewed 1376229 times
Up to now I refused in my oo82162A "IL to IR bridge" printer any code page switching for a single character only. But it is much simpler than explaining "sorry, here this stands for that".
mike-stgt

Postby ve3oat » Tue Nov 09, 2021 12:03 am

Mike,
Excellent! Have you considered contributing your code to the MoHPC User Forum software library?
... Martin
ve3oat

Postby mike-stgt » Tue Nov 09, 2021 6:50 am

ve3oat wrote:Have you considered contributing your code to the MoHPC User Forum software library?
For sure not! -- Hi Martin!
  • MoHPC is for almost all HP calculators, on hp41.org almost all is about the HP41. Likewise you wouldn't go to a diner for a Chateaubriand.
  • My last append was not about the "GC forth and back", the main message is: I changed my oo82162A Printer Simulator.
  • A funniy moderator once removed (almost) all my appends from that other forum, because I lauded someone who published there his -- well, it is the name of that programming language -- Brainfuck interpreter on an HP-15C. "We want to be a family-friendly site." OK kids, over there you'll never learn about the intensification of brain-twisters. (Frankly, the main achievements from age of the Enlightenment seems its nowadays countermovement.)
Edit: I've set the name of the programming language to a tiny font what should look like whispering it
Last edited by mike-stgt on Wed Nov 10, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike-stgt

Postby Garth » Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:33 pm

It is unfortunate that someone decided to give that programming language that name. I would never use it or promote it with a name like that, and I'm sure that's the case with many other people too.
Garth

Return to HP-41 Software