Overvoltage Damage?

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

Overvoltage Damage?

Postby Jim Frame » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:40 am

I was recently given a 41CX that belonged to a former co-worker, now deceased. Although appearing to be in pristine condition, it wouldn't turn on. The batteries looked good at first glance, but on further inspection I found that they weren't N cells, but rather A23 cells. Very close in size, but the latter put out 12v each, delivering 48v to the device. Looking through my own 41CV manual, I don't find anything describing the operational input voltage range, but I'm thinking that 48v is likely to be too much. Can anyone here verify, and possibly suggest which component might get fried? I'm wondering if the calculator is practical to repair.

Thanks!
Jim Frame

Re: Overvoltage Damage?

Postby Jim Frame » Sat Mar 30, 2024 5:11 pm

[Replying because I forgot to check the "notify me when a reply is posted" box.]
Jim Frame

Re: Overvoltage Damage?

Postby Garth » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:33 am

I didn't reply earlier because I don't know the answer and I was hoping someone who did would pipe up; however, I can't imagine much of the electronics survived.  It would be kind of like plugging your 120VAC clock radio, blender, printer, whatever, in to a thousand volts or more.  If that's the case, various parts of the 41 could be used to restore other ones, like the case, battery holder, keyboard, maybe the LCD, and who knows what else.
Garth

Return to HP-41 Hardware