HP41 and hp16 emulation

Everything about 41C 41CV and 41CX Hardware

HP41 and hp16 emulation

Postby ystone21 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:36 am

Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me.
I have a two questions if you please :
- I will be soon a new owner of an hp41 and want to know how is it possible to add an hp16c emulation ? is it hardware ? software ?
- what are the module for adding memory ?
Than you very much in advance
Regards
Eric
ystone21

Re: HP41 and hp16 emulation

Postby dlachieze » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:12 am

For the first question, there is an HP16C emulator available for the HP-41, it's a software image that needs to be loaded in one Diego Diaz Clonix/Novram module. More details here. You can test it with V41.

For the second question it depends on the type of HP-41:

Standard memory:
  • 41C:
    • Base memory : 63 registers
    • Memory module 82106A: 64 additional registers per module (max of 4 modules)
    • Quad memory module 82170A : 256 additional registers (cannot be used with 82106A modules)
  • 41CV/CX:
    • Base memory 319 registers - cannot be increased with memory modules

Extended memory:
  • 41C/41CV:
    • XFunction module 82180A : extended functions + 128 registers of extended memory
    • XMemory module 82181A : 239 additional extended memory registers per module (max of 2 modules - requires the XFunction module)
  • 41CX:
    • Includes the Xfunction module with 128 registers of extended memory
    • XMemory module 82181A : 239 additional extended memory registers per module (max of 2 modules)

So to reach the maximum memory configuration you need either:
  • an HP-41C with a Quad Memory module + an XFunction module + two XMemory modules, but no expansion slot available.
  • an HP-41CV with an XFunction module + two XMemory modules, one expansion slot is available
  • an HP-41CX with two XMemory modules, two expansion slots are available
dlachieze

Postby ystone21 » Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:48 am

Thank you very much for all those informations !
I will deep into it !
Regards
ystone21

Postby Garth » Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:36 pm

What are the differences between Angel's module and the Ladybug module, discussed here (if you can quickly condense the major points, to avoid our having to compare dozens of pages in detail)?

The Advantage module won't do everything the 16c will, but does include number-base conversions, bit tests, rotations, and boolean functions (in 56-bit, not 64-bit). It has all I have ever needed in that regard.
Garth

Postby dlachieze » Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:55 am

Garth wrote:What are the differences between Angel's module and the Ladybug module, discussed here (if you can quickly condense the major points, to avoid our having to compare dozens of pages in detail)?

Well, I'm not an expert user of these two modules but as far as I know the module from Angel is a close emulation of the HP-16C while the Ladybug module is similar to the HP-16C but doesn't try to be an exact emulation.
dlachieze

Postby rprosperi » Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:41 pm

Here is a description for the LadyBug module from Håkan's excellent manual:

Ladybug provides a new mode for you HP-41 calculator which allows it to work as a customizable integer
binary calculator. It makes it easy to work in different number bases, perform arithmetic, bitwise and log-
ical operations in a given fixed word size. Operations that you typically will encounter when working with
computers at its lowest level.
The main goal with this module is to blend the majority of the capabilities of an HP-16C into the HP-41
environment, while taking advantage of the extra facilities provided by the HP-41. In other words, to combine
the best of both worlds.

One key difference to note is each of these modules requires their authors page-4 library installed:

Ladybug module requires installation of Håkan's OS4 Module
HP-16C Emulator requires installation of Angel's LIB4 Module

so if you are using one of these page-4 libraries already, you would be constrained to stay with that author's 16C module.
rprosperi

Return to HP-41 Hardware