Programming on i41CX+

Re: Programming on i41CX+

Postby dvm@onemedicine.ca » Mon May 10, 2021 6:45 am

Mike:

Thank you ! That's pretty darn slick. Where is that in the manual? I do have A assigned but that's easy to adjust...even I can do that ! :D

Thanks for your generosity for sharing cool ideas. Programming is fun (with your and Garth's help)

Cheers, AJ
dvm@onemedicine.ca

Postby dvm@onemedicine.ca » Mon May 10, 2021 7:17 am

Mike:

Before I hit the hay, can this be done?

SF 27 [set USER mode]
"CAT=C DOG=D?"
PROMPT
LBL C
Parameters for cat
GTO 04 [for output]
LBL D
Parameters for dog
LBL04 [for output]
dvm@onemedicine.ca

Postby mike-stgt » Tue May 11, 2021 12:30 pm

dvm@onemedicine.ca wrote:Before I hit the hay, can this be done?

"CAT=C DOG=D?"
PROMPT
LBL C

What do you expect me to reply? We could start a "funny answers to silly questions" contest. My input: No-no-no -- how dare you! LBL C directly after the PROMPT makes CAT the default if you hit R/S. That is a serious, scandalous, stupid, outrageous, objectionable, and abhorrent breaching of our great, amazing and terrific DOGS FIRST! doctrine. What a dangerous thing, tremendous, all our dogs being so badly mistreated.
mike-stgt

Postby Garth » Tue May 11, 2021 7:38 pm

LOL, I know some people love their dogs more than anything. I'm sure glad our neighbor with his noisy dog moved though. AJ, maybe you could pull some secret trick with your patients that would make the barks a lot quieter and gradually disappear completely, slowly enough that the owners don't realize you're the cause. We've had camping trips ruined by the noise of dogs at neighboring campsites, put up with a few years of extreme stress from an inconsiderate neighbor, etc.. I'm just a tad autistic, and this neighbor's dog's barking made it like there were little lightning bolts shooting through my head with every bark. I finally understand why more-autistic children panic and cry when there's too much noise. We had another neighbor across the street with a huge dog with a monstrous bark that would stand at the front gate and bark at everything going by, while I was trying to talk to customers on the phone in my home office while this dog was rattling my closed windows. The owner was seldom home. I called animal control several times, and several times saw them put warnings and citations in the screen door, and this neighbor finally moved too because he was not willing to get rid of the dog or teach it to be quiet.

We have fish in an aquarium in the living room. Beautiful, never kept us up with their barking, never peed on the rug, never got hair on anything, didn't turn the back door into a pile of toothpicks, etc.. :D
Garth

Postby dvm@onemedicine.ca » Tue May 11, 2021 9:20 pm

Mike: I apologize. Sincerely AJ
Garth: Rigorous and consistent positive training will help manage barking dogs not completely eliminate it; sometimes certified trainers may resort to negative reinforcement - non-shock barked collars first. Sorry to hear about vacations and life in general has been negatively impacted by barking dogs and owners not doing something concrete make your time off and neighbourhood more enjoyable.
Cheers, AJ
dvm@onemedicine.ca

Postby ve3oat » Sat Jul 03, 2021 1:40 am

FOCAL :
someone pointed out that there was already an unrelated language with that name

In case anyone cares :
(From memory) FOCAL was the BASIC/FORTRAN-like high-level interpretive language developed by Digital Equipment Corp (DEC) for their PDP-8 and PDP-11 series computers. I spent many hours solving analytical problems and doing digital simulations by writing and running programs in FOCAL on a PDP-8 with paper tape and teletype input/output during the early 1970s. It was challenging, stimulating and invigourating. Those were the days!
ve3oat

Postby dvm@onemedicine.ca » Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:45 pm

Thank you kindly for getting back to me on the name of the HP41 language. You old school engineers are great and a special bunch of folks. You were the guys and gals that got Us to the Moon! For my not-so old school anecdote: we backed-up physiological data during my PhD on tape in this big, AC'd positive pressure room. Going in the room was like going back in time. By the end of PhD, we were using desktop PC's and that massive computer whose name I can't recall was dismantled and the room converted into another lab. Cheers.
dvm@onemedicine.ca

Return to Programming