Calculation of ellipse perimeter (need some help)

PM: How to start rexx under windows?

Postby mike-stgt » Fri Jul 02, 2021 2:28 pm

Please restrain from sending private mails to me, I will only answer in public.
floppy_stuttgart wrote:could you please inform if your program is starting in a terminal like this:
"c:/pathToTheEXE/rexx.exe oo82162A.rxh"
I am battling in using my linux & wine environment.

1st: did you see the list of prerequisites mentioned in oo82162A.htm? The first item is Windows. In contrast you use a linux & wine environment. Do you know about the differentnesses? What gives you the faith this could work?

2nd: next prerequisite item is Open Object REXX. Did you read the readme.pdf that comes with it? Also paragraph 2.2 Software Requirements? With all the Windows versions mentioned there Wine is missing. AFAIK Wine spells "Wine Is Not an Emulator". Hmm...

3rd: you may install ooREXX under Linux as described in chapter 3 of the a. m. readme.pdf -- alas, to show a nice application window I use ooDialog which is based on Windows GUI. So even most of my program would run, you must rewrite all what makes up the dialog window. Yes, why not, others solve crossword puzzles.

Next: as with many other programs the suffixes of its files gets associated with it at installation time. Same for ooREXX with .rex, .rxh and one more I can't remember. (Choice of suffix is up to you.) So REXX is started automated similar as .txt or .htm/.html too.

One more word: to care for HP41 and even older calculators is pretty nostalgic, similar with ooREXX and Windows. In contrast you use Linux&Wine, ask for webinars, tutorials and other modern rubbish and like to get ready for use "elles vorgekaut in d'Fingr g'schissa" (babelfish.de fails to translate that). I recommend to read along the descriptions and manuals and get it done as exactly as it is written. There are reasons why other options are not mentioned.
mike-stgt

Re: Calculation of ellipse perimeter (need some help)

Postby jeffcalc » Fri Jul 02, 2021 3:32 pm

jeffcalc wrote:
floppy_stuttgart wrote:Hello,
I need a bit of support for transfering the function "Pascal(D)" which calculate the ellipse perimeter by entering
a
ENTER
b
ENTER
XEQ "PERIMEL"
.. 85 lines
(no approximation, no long series, except the calculator precision; just pi and X² and + and - and / and SQRTs and..).

Quite interesting !

I'm still curious to see your code to compute the ellipse perimeter with "no approximation, no long series".

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Sun Jul 04, 2021 5:51 pm

Thanks for the hints.
I have an issue with activating/popping-up the menue for the video setup (82163A emulator).
Code: Select all
To set the above mentioned virtual HP-IL mode parameters call the "TCP/IP Setup..." item in the ILVideo system menu (you get it by Alt+Space Bar or a left mouse click on the symbol in the top left corner or a right mouse click on the title bar). After you finished the setup, press the "Start" button please. If the "Start" button is disabled, the virtual HP-IL interface is already running. So you have to "Stop" and restart the interface for activating the new settings.

dont work in my environment.
Ideally, somebody (so far I understood), would give to me his ILVideo.vil and perhaps I can edit and adapt.
floppy_stuttgart

Re: PM: How to start rexx under windows?

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Mon Jul 05, 2021 4:54 pm

mike-stgt wrote:One more word: to care for HP41 and even older calculators is pretty nostalgic, similar with ooREXX and Windows. In contrast you use Linux&Wine, ask for webinars, tutorials and other modern rubbish and like to get ready for use "elles vorgekaut in d'Fingr g'schissa" (babelfish.de fails to translate that). I recommend to read along the descriptions and manuals and get it done as exactly as it is written. There are reasons why other options are not mentioned.

Thanks. I will have a look again.
My view is a bit different: I am an "explorer" and the first path I explore is my linux/wine setup and see how supportive it can be for me to use again my hp41. If it fails, I will go into the standard Windows or without PC at all without regret.
Nostalgie (the design of the hp41) in combination with other modern systems (pilbox, linux,..) is exciting and this is my current vision to make it working and show this to family members (a professional vision is to support hydrogen motorisation on the market the next years etc. hp41 will not be there for the control units ;-).
However Mike, I dont want to have more heated exchange here (the german words preferably are not understood by others) and you are free not to answer to my chaotic way of approach (chaotic for now.. it will become better ;-).
Thanks to all your patience with my (too much) posts.
Last edited by floppy_stuttgart on Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floppy_stuttgart

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:04 pm

jeffcalc wrote:
jeffcalc wrote:I'm still curious to see your code to compute the ellipse perimeter with "no approximation, no long series".
J-F

Still working on this. Will take several weeks.. or months (the calculating with hp41 is a check because I want to observe precision without having all proof; I am still building the calculating which is representing a non trivial formula).
floppy_stuttgart

Re: PM: How to start rexx under windows?

Postby mike-stgt » Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:05 am

floppy_stuttgart wrote:Still working on this. Will take several weeks.. or months [...] I am still building the calculating which is representing a non trivial formula.
While Jean-François is curious to see your code I'd prefer to see the formula (now, not in weeks or months) unless it is the MAGM mentioned here and used there.
Last edited by mike-stgt on Fri Jul 09, 2021 11:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike-stgt

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:06 am

- I am currently following the path "pyilper" under linux; looks promising. a user having it under windows was identified; now I am leaving the other paths since my wine environment was not "self installing"
- still waiting for cables in order to connect the pilbox
- however, in the HP41 emulator, for the topic in title, a single function used (no series) "PEREL2" show (unfortunately) for now a maximum deviation of 0,11% in (1, 0.1) in comparison to page 7 of http://web.tecnico.ulisboa.pt/~mcasquil ... llipse.pdf I have to think how to make it better. Idea in short: an ISO-PERIMETER representative curve of "4*n" pass by the point (0,n) and (n/2*pi,n/2*pi) and has a tangent horizontal at (0,n) and a tangent -1 at (n/2*pi,n/2*pi). This tangent values at these points are a kind of logic and can be proofed using implicit differentiation of the existing series formula at these points. An iso-parameter curve of type conic (hyperbola or parabola or ellipse) passing through these conditions looks promising. PEREL2 hat a validity in the area b<a (whatever you give in X and Y, it will be selected so thats the case for the calculation). The choosen conic curve in PEREL2 was an ellipse tangent to a=0. I have to understand where this deviation is coming from at (1, 0.1): perhaps the calculation precision of the HP41 (dont think so); more likely the ISO-PARAMETER is a variable ellipse depending of (a/b). However, I have good fun starting some simulations with an HP41.
- simulations/calculations can be seen there https://www.desmos.com/calculator/cwumnetkhx?lang=de
- a raw or txt file cannot be uploaded here (just discovered this; can be sent offline). With the HP41 emulator in the menue "Fle" "Get User Code...", choose the .RAW file (created with "wine hp41uc.exe /t=PEREL2 /r /k" under linux 64bits), upload, thats it. a ENTER b XEQ "PEREL2". Result is in X.

mike: I see you posted something. answer not planned so far. I will have a look perhaps later. I am busy with pyilper and other things.

others: no help needed for now. However you can enjoy seiing me battling with weird math subjects, hp41, pilbox, linux, pyilper, cables, Nov64d, printers, RS232..
floppy_stuttgart

Postby mike-stgt » Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:58 am

floppy_stuttgart wrote:- a raw or txt file cannot be uploaded here

That's a unreliable subterfuge, a flimsy excuse. If you use a virtual HP41 you may print the program to a simulated printer, then copy-paste the print-out with no effort in a 'Code' section here.

BTW, my suggested routine returns 4.063974178 for PEL(1, 0.1)
mike-stgt

Return to Programming