Storing data in a virtual drive via pilbox/pyILPER; HOWTO

Storing data in a virtual drive via pilbox/pyILPER; HOWTO

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Wed Sep 29, 2021 12:39 pm

Hello,
I wanted to create a DATA file from V41R9F and see the pyILPER warning "Warning: do not initialize a LIF image file that is mounted to a virtual drive."
Now, I am a bit confused.
How to create a DATA file, example "XLOGS" in a virtual drive accessible via pilbox/pyILPER?
I would not like to mess around.
floppy_stuttgart

Re: Storing data in a virtual drive via pilbox/pyILPER; HOWT

Postby rprosperi » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:22 am

pyILPer comes with some ready-made LIF volumes in the pyilper\lifimage folder. You can copy one of those to another file and use that (delete any of the existing files if you need the space).

I am not sure why pyILPer shows that error, perhaps it is a bug, but if you are a windows user, you can install and use the original ILPer from Christoph Giesselink's webpage: https://hp.giesselink.com/hpil.htm. It has less options than pyILPer, but is the gold standard of virtual IL.
rprosperi

the gold standard of virtual IL

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Sep 30, 2021 5:33 pm

rprosperi wrote:... the gold standard of virtual IL.

Is your assessment based on know-how, or rather on know-why?
mike-stgt

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Sat Feb 12, 2022 12:52 pm

rprosperi wrote:pyILPer comes with some ready-made LIF volumes in the pyilper\lifimage folder. You can copy one of those to another file and use that (delete any of the existing files if you need the space).
I am not sure why pyILPer shows that error, perhaps it is a bug, but if you are a windows user, you can install and use the original ILPer from Christoph Giesselink's webpage: https://hp.giesselink.com/hpil.htm. It has less options than pyILPer, but is the gold standard of virtual IL.

I was reading again this post since I have compatibility issues between a HPDRIVE1.DAT from pyILPER and ILPER (see another post from me viewtopic.php?f=6&t=537).
What is rprosperi your experience in exchanging the virtual drives between Windows, MacOS, Linux, 32Bits, 64bits, X86, ARM..? Any limitations were observed or setup to be specially done?
Regards,
floppy_stuttgart

Postby rprosperi » Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:10 pm

I don't use macOS or Linux (for calculator play), so cannot comment about those, however I use the same LIF volumes with both ILPer and pyILPer regularly, and have never had any compatibility issues. Sorry I couldn't help more.
rprosperi

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Sun Feb 13, 2022 4:16 pm

rprosperi wrote:I don't use macOS or Linux (for calculator play), so cannot comment about those, however I use the same LIF volumes with both ILPer and pyILPer regularly, and have never had any compatibility issues. Sorry I couldn't help more.

If you have a file working with bot, can you send it to me via PM or Mail? Then I will test and try to see what is happening.
floppy_stuttgart

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Sat Mar 05, 2022 5:44 pm

rprosperi wrote:I don't use macOS or Linux (for calculator play), so cannot comment about those, however I use the same LIF volumes with both ILPer and pyILPer regularly, and have never had any compatibility issues. Sorry I couldn't help more.

pyilper and pilper were used with the same file system: NTFS or FAT or.. ?
floppy_stuttgart

Postby ClarenceBranch » Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:02 pm

Hey, the main issue in your case is the compatibility of the pyILPER and V41R9F encryption types. A good way to fix this issue is to encrypt those files in a similar format and mount them. The bad thing is that the common data encryption format for these two formats is old, so it will directly hit the data transfer speed between directories. For the future, I recommend you format your virtual directories, proceed with the defragmentation process, and install the necessary virtual hard driver software. If you lose some data during these processes, you can always recover them with a raid data recovery site.
ClarenceBranch

Return to Programming