No decent working emulator for MacOS

No decent working emulator for MacOS

Postby anetzer » Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:33 pm

Having fiddled some with ILPER on a Windows machine my curiosity concerning decent emulators running under MacOS has been renewed and sadly frustrated.

I have downloaded and tried the few available programs.

They can either not be run under MacOS 12.4 Monterey or if they do they are riddled with bugs and prone to crashing.

Not being a software developer at all I am now praying that finally someone would be willing to compile V41 (and pretty please ILPER an ILVideo obviously) to run on a modern Mac...

I'd be paying for a stable product in the App Store.
anetzer

Re: No decent working emulator for MacOS

Postby rprosperi » Fri Jun 17, 2022 8:44 pm

For existing windows programs, you can run them under Parallels Desktop for Mac; it's not free, but it works well.

For IL-Per, use the alternate pyILPer, which is a python-based client with many extensions beyond IL-Per, including a virtual video display.

https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1 ... #pid156726
rprosperi

Postby anetzer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 7:36 am

rprosperi wrote:For existing windows programs, you can run them under Parallels Desktop for Mac; it's not free, but it works well.

Ah, yes, Parallels seems to work on Apple silicone now. Didn't watch that for a while. Thank you!
I frankly don't like the idea of having to tinker with all the administrative overkill and then need to fire up a fully fledged virtual machine every time I want to run my calc.

Seeing quality emulators being ported to almost any kind of platform: it strikes me as odd:
You can find good emulators for a lot of RPN hardware on the Mac, but not one for the HP-41.

I am not knowledgeable about these things: Is recompiling the source code for another UNIX platform such a hassle?
anetzer

Postby rprosperi » Sat Jun 18, 2022 2:56 pm

I'm not familiar with any complete and useful 41 emulators for any Linux flavor (maybe there are, I'm simply not aware) and if not then it would require porting one from Windows, iOS or Android to macOS, none of which is as simple as recompiling. They all use different window managers, system/OS interfaces, etc. so a port is non-trivial. I recall Sylvain Cote has mentioned that he uses (used?) a nice 41 emulator on macOS but IIRC, it is long out of date and no longer maintained, so likely would be problematic to run today. PM Sylvain, he visits here occasionally, and is also regularly on MoHPC. In both places I believe his handle is simply "Sylvian Cote".
rprosperi

Postby anetzer » Sat Jun 18, 2022 10:57 pm

rprosperi wrote:For IL-Per, use the alternate pyILPer

Been there done that. pyILPer is up and running.

I was afraid first that doing an installation of pyILPer on Apple silicone might be a hassle.

Following the instructions under

https://github.com/bug400/pyilper/blob/master/INSTALL.md

was quite straightforward however.

Only one addition I'd like to make: The required version of Python is mentioned quite far down the page and installing pyILPer will only be possible after Python has been successfully upgraded using "conda install python=x.y"...
anetzer

Postby anetzer » Wed Jun 29, 2022 7:39 am

rprosperi wrote:I'm not familiar with any complete and useful 41 emulators for any Linux flavor ".

I have bitten the bullet and acquired Crossover, a commercial Wine solution.

Using Crossover I created bottles for emu71 and V41. Emu71 runs pretty decent and works well with the pyILPer tools under Anaconda.It tends to freeze up, if you leave it untouched for some time. V41 however is far from stable and I still try to run down any possible solutions to make it usable.

The good notice however seems to be that pyILPER is viable even on the most recent Apple Hardware and that for emu71 you can create a decently functioning virtual setup.

I don't find much time for these things, but will try to keep any interested people posted.
anetzer

Return to Programming