82143A Paper Advance assy pinch rollers - new ones needed

82143A 82162A 82240B 2225B

82143A Paper Advance assy pinch rollers - new ones needed

Postby rfdes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:24 am

Hi -
I see where the rubber roller replacement question has come up over the years, but I haven't seen any clear solutions to their replacement. I would appreciate if someone who has replaced their rubber tires on this assemble successfully chime in on exactly what they found that worked. I've heard others claim that silicon tubing (model airplane stores) may work. I've also heard mentioned the use of small O rings. Has any of these methods been verified?

I sure could use some advice on what works and what doesn't work.
thanks
Jim
rfdes

Re: 82143A Paper Advance assy pinch rollers - new ones neede

Postby rprosperi » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:49 pm

Several users have reported success using these O-rings for repairing TopCats:

https://www.theoringstore.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=4477&fbclid=IwAR1yM-S3Aoy-fVwUW6LrOas4aI5RODnJve7ROmQ5ox_sHkCgiaWCjPpRZ2c

I have just purchased some and they will be used to repair a 91 and 92. I don't know if the 82143 printer needs a different size, but it seems unlikely they would have changed something that worked.

Good luck!

--bob
rprosperi

Postby rfdes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:30 pm

Hi Bob-
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look to see what they have.
Jim
rfdes

Postby rfdes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:11 pm

Bob -
I have a couple of other questions to ask...

I took a photo of my 'naked' assy and compared it with a photo taken by Drulli a few years ago. Drulli also provided some measured dimensions.
It certainly looks like my paper advance assy looks identical to your HP 91/92 printer from what I can tell (I found a photo online). If you have already removed your assy would you please compare yours with mine. I also checked my measured dimensions against the dimensions provided by Drulli and they appear to be very close to the square O ring that you are purchasing for your 91/92 repair.

My main question regards the location of the rubber ring on the left side of the assy. Is this installed on the inside or out as shown in the photo? Per the photo by Drulli it looks to be on the inside and I just wanted to make sure.

Last question, it appears the the inside diameter of the O ring will be smaller and should provide a friction fit. Do you have any knowledge whether the original tires were attached with adhesive?
Thanks again for your help.
Jim

PaperAdvanceAssy.jpg
rfdes

Postby rfdes » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:35 pm

After looking at the photos again, it dawned on me that the original HP pinch roller tires look like they were molded around the plastic retention ring and were snapped into place for proper alignment.
Is that how you visualize this? Curious how accurate the positioning needs to be and whether simple friction will be all that is necessary to keep the tires from 'walking' in one direction or another.
Looks like I may need to eyeball the placement of the tire onto the assembly.

Your opinions?
Jim

Assy1.JPG
rfdes

Postby rprosperi » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:20 am

To give my machines the best chances of survival, I rarely do modifications like this myself, I rely on pros that have done these repairs. I have very good skills for some repairs, not so much with others, and working inside rare TopCats is work I prefer to have experienced hands doing.

But I keep track of posts in various places (most notably MoHPC) of hard to find parts, like this, to have them handy if needed or when folks ask.

I read that these O-rings are glued to the shaft, with the expected religious debates about the 'best' kind of glue to use, but in this application, as long as it's applied carefully I doubt the type of glue is a critical factor; it's really just to prevent the slipping you asked about.

So, sorry I can't give you much informed opinion on the other issues.

But you should definitely check out the forums at MoHPC (https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/) if there are no other helpful answers here; this site is certainly more 41-focused, and so the 82143 would likely be discussed here, but there tends to be far more traffic there.

Good luck.
rprosperi

Postby rfdes » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:32 pm

Hi -
Thanks for your response and advice. As far as repairing the printer mechanism, I fully enjoy the challenge. My attitude is if I break something else, I'll fix that also.
Since you are purchasing the square rings, are you going to install these yourself or give them to someone else to install?

Another note to any others following along, the photo showing the 'retention ring', I thought that his is feature was removable and found out that it is actually part of the molded piece. So... now it looks like the original pinch tires must have had in internal groove to install over this molded feature to lock the tire in place. I was hoping you would be able to tell me whether your printer mechanism is built the same. In any event, I will need to remove this feature to install the tires. We'll see how it goes.

take care -
Jim
rfdes

Postby rfdes » Fri Aug 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Just wanted to chime in and let the group know that the square O rings purchased worked just fine in the printer. If anyone is interested, the minimum number of rings was 25 so I have more than I will ever need. The price of the 25 pieces was $1.00 (0.04 ea) but it cost $8.00 to ship. If anyone is interested in receiving a few and want to share the cost, please email me. My email address: jrf100@frontier.com.

Take care -
Jim
Attachments
DSC00958.JPG
DSC00957.JPG
rfdes

Return to Printers