hp9114b.dat in IlPer: how to use this? advantage vs HDRIVE?

82160A

hp9114b.dat in IlPer: how to use this? advantage vs HDRIVE?

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Wed Jul 06, 2022 8:30 pm

Hello,
I have the setup in the attachment.
How to access this hp9114b in V41?
V41 has a successfull access to HDRIVEI.DAT (see attachment)
what would be the advantage to use the hp..dat file?
Could I perhaps store HP71 programs too on it?
(for any reason, the drive HDRIVEI.DAT is not recognized by my EMU71 setup; another HDRIVE1.DAT is ok).
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-07-06 22-24-17.png
floppy_stuttgart

Re: hp9114b.dat in IlPer: how to use this? advantage vs HDRI

Postby jeffcalc » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:37 pm

floppy_stuttgart wrote:Hello,
I have the setup in the attachment.
How to access this hp9114b in V41?

If the question is "how can I access the drive HP9114B?" :) then the answer depends:
- if "access" just means "load a program from that drive", then READP will work in most cases (for special cases, SELECTing that drive is needed, see the referenced thread below)
- if "access" means "get the directory", then SELECTing that drive is needed, and do DIR as usual.
For more information, especially for saving files with multiple mass memory units on the loop, read the section "Using Multiple Mass Storage Devices" in the HP-IL manual.
You can also refer to this older thread- you will see that you are not the first (and probably not the last one) to have trouble with the HP-41 management of multiple mass storage units.

what would be the advantage to use the hp..dat file?

Well, the main advantage (with the HP-41) to use both units is to double the mass storage capacity.

Could I perhaps store HP71 programs too on it?

I usually don't recommend to mix HP-41 and HP-71B files on a volume, expect for archiving. Avoid updating/deleting files then adding new files from both controllers. And DON'T use the HP-71B PACK command !

J-F
jeffcalc

Return to HP-IL