Flag 25 Issue?

82160A

Flag 25 Issue?

Postby Duncan » Tue Oct 11, 2022 8:19 am

Just a note to say I have experienced an issue with the HP-IL Dev+ module that seems to ignore the error ignore flag (ironic) when the HP41CX is loaded with the following modules:
HP82160A HP-IL
RAMPAGE'X/KA/BF FNS (Page 8)
WARPCORE+ (Page 9)
TOOLBOX'4/HACKER LAB (Page A)
HP82183A EXT IO (Page B)
EXT IL ROM/PRINT FCNS (Page C)
HP-IL DEV+/BS UTILS/!^C EMULTR (Page D)

I have not had time to do any detailed research as to the cause yet but when I remove these modules (bar HP82160A obvs) and replace with real HP Dev module, Flag 25 behavior returns to normal again.
Duncan

Re: Flag 25 Issue?

Postby mike-stgt » Wed Oct 12, 2022 4:52 pm

Woot?? "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" -- what do you try to do?
First, I don't know most of the ROMs you mention, could you list also author and source of following
Duncan wrote:RAMPAGE'X/KA/BF FNS (Page 8)
WARPCORE+ (Page 9)
TOOLBOX'4/HACKER LAB (Page A)
HP-IL DEV+/BS UTILS/!^C EMULTR (Page D)

Second -- by all those oizo rare (seldom birds), do you run them as real HW or in some kind of emulator?
Then -- is set flag 25 ignored in general or only for some function of those dubious ROMs?
mike-stgt

Postby Duncan » Wed Oct 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Hi Mike-Sgt
Most of the ROMs are of Angel Martin sourced although there may be other combination of authors. These are ROMs that I use to provide a collection of functions for expanded HP-41CX capability. I also forgot to mention that many of the ROMs also use the LIBRARY4 ROM (Angel Martin) in page 4. I use the Clonix-D module from Diego Diaz to run them on real (yes) HP-41CX hardware and in this particular case I use V41 to initially develop the software and then transfer the programs to real hardware using the PIL box. I only accidentally came across this issue when using real hardware when devices such as the Cassette Drive & HP82162A printer that do not respond to the SDI message and my error detection code failed! (the '/' in the ROM names denote the different headers used in their respective ROMs).
Duncan
Duncan

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Oct 13, 2022 1:19 am

Duncan wrote:Most of the ROMs are of Angel Martin sourced
ÀM is well-known to favour quantity before quality. He even disregards bug reports -- ignorance is bliss.
... when devices such as the Cassette Drive & HP82162A printer that do not respond to the SDI message and my error detection code failed!
IIRC, neither cassette drive nor HP82162A printer send a device ID, but that is not a subject for F25. Highly likely the failure is your error detection code.
mike-stgt

Postby Duncan » Thu Oct 13, 2022 5:56 am

The F25 issue only relates in this case to the use of the HP-IL development module. Flag 25 is used slightly differently by the HP-IL development module, it is still used as an 'error ignore' ability to prevent stopping a running program but does not clear F25 on error. When an error occurs, the HP-IL development module puts a negative number in X to indicate the cause of error in this case -4 for 'No Response'. Thus the 'error' code is simply:
SF 25
SDI
X<0?
GTO nn
CF 25
With the module configuration mentioned earlier the program seems to ignore F25 and halts on SDI the message. When I remove that module configuration and use the development module on it's own, the program (and error detection) works fine. So clearly it's something to do with the other modules/configuration I just thought I would highlight it in case anyone else experienced a similar problem.
Duncan

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Oct 13, 2022 9:29 am

Thank you for the details.
Question: in your OP you state
... with real HP Dev module, Flag 25 behavior returns to normal again.
Then in an append you mentioned V41 -- how about a firmware trace and compare the two cases, normal and "not so normal"/funny/buggy.
mike-stgt

Return to HP-IL