XMEM Text file to DOS file

82160A

XMEM Text file to DOS file

Postby Duncan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:47 pm

Hello, not sure the forum is exactly right for this question, just thinking virtual HP-IL might contain the answer.
Does anyone know how to save a XMEM text file to PC text file. I am using Warren's fantastic HP41CX emulation and have ILPer virtualizations?
Duncan

Re: XMEM Text file to DOS file

Postby Garth » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:15 pm

I've "printed" it to my FSI164A (nearly identical to the HP82164A, but with a couple more features) HPIL-to-RS232 interface, and used the following GWBASIC program to take it from there and put it in a DOS text file.

INFL.BASlisting.jpg

Depending on how fast the computer is, you might need to change line 600 for the delay.
Garth

Postby jeffcalc » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:04 am

The basic idea is to print the file content to the PC, as Garth suggested.
With a PIL-Box and ILPer, you can just print to the printer window, then copy and past to a text file.

See here for a discussion on this subject including how to restoring a XMEM file from a PC text file (a bit more difficult):
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-6552.html

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby Duncan » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:49 am

Thank you all for your help I shall investigate!
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Fri Nov 15, 2019 2:06 pm

Further to my query I have found a solution and I apologize if my solution has all been done before! The solution I have found is to copy the XMEM file to ERAMCO RSU file and then use DOSLINK to write to a text file. The solution also works in reverse so I can import a text file creating bi-directional transfer!

I have uploaded a Word file containing the details that explains the programs including program listings. Please feel free to use as fit.

I have also made some observations regarding the DOSLINK mechanism that I think could greatly enhance it's usefulness. As a novice I don't know too much about the DOSLINK and I hope Iam not suggesting things that may be already there? Unfortunately Iam not familiar with C++ but it would be great if the DOSLINK could include my observations. Thank you again for all your help.
Attachments
HP-41 DOS Text Files003e1.doc
XMEM-DOS
(52 KiB) Downloaded 1835 times
Duncan

R

Postby jeffcalc » Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for your work and sharing it.
It's a long time since I played with the ERAMCO RSU (in emu41, cause I don't have the real hardware).
The RSU is quite specific and I'm not sure there are still many RSU user here (are there?).

Some coments:

- It seems to me that it is perfectly possible to print records longer than 24 characters, with the native XMEM GETREC and the HP-IL OUTA. These functions work with the flag 17 to indicate if a end of record (cr-lf) is found/needed. This is what was done in the link I indicated above, with the PRFLAS proposed by dayd, that uses the printer ACA/PRBUF to send to a printing device but OUTA can be used instead (and would be simpler).
And my INFLAS (needs the X-IO module) is a solution for importing a text file with records (==lines) possibly longer than 24 characters.

- about DOSLINK (since I'm the original creator of DOSLINK, first in Emu41/71 then in ILPer):
DOSLINK basically manages the data in binary mode, that is it never adds or removes cr-lf by its own, so you have full control of the cr-lf.
DOSLINK is a sequential character interface, you can't position a 'pointer' to go back or forth in the data stream (think to RS232). But you can 'rewind' it to beginning of file by sending a HP-IL CLEAR command (HP41 X-IO CLRDEV or CLRLOOP), in this way you can read again an input file, or re-write an output file with new data.

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby Duncan » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:55 pm

Thank you for the info! I think I may have jumped in too quickly creating a 'fancy' solution! My original reason for doing this was to transfer data (text) files from my virtual HP-41CX + ERAMCO RSU (where the data is) on my laptop to my i41CX+ on my phone. I am doing some more research and tests to hopefully create a small suite of general purpose utility programs that can import & export text files (including ',' & TAB delimited formats) accordingly that I will hopefully post later to the web site for all (if all goes well!).

I did have a 'real' ERAMCO RSU + ES41 database software but it died on me some years ago. I liked it because of the extra RAM and easy to use database (fields etc. unlike XMEM) capabilities. Exactly the same thing can be emulated using the ES41 MOD file and MLDL RAM files 'plugged in' to my virtual HP41CX (so any previous ERAMCO RSU user out there can continue to use it)!!!
Duncan

Return to HP-IL