How to test the video interface HP 82163B?

82160A

How to test the video interface HP 82163B?

Postby flowerking » Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:31 pm

Hello,

some years ago a aquired a HP-41CV. Also in the box was a HP-IL Modul HP82160A and a video interface HP82163B. I attached the HP-IL module to the calculator, the video interface to the HP-IL module and a monochrome monitor to the video interface. Then I switched everything on and at least I got a blinking cursor on the monitor. But there is no reponse on the monitor if I press some keys on the calculator.
Is there a simple way to test the video interface? Maybe there is some kind of echo function, which just shows everything I do on the calculator on the monitor?

Thanks for your help!
Ingo
flowerking

Re: How to test the video interface HP 82163B?

Postby mike-stgt » Mon Feb 03, 2020 3:32 pm

Hi,

you do need a manual for it. Find it on the CD of this site you may torrent for free.

/M.
mike-stgt

Postby jeffcalc » Sun Feb 09, 2020 6:24 pm

flowerking wrote:Is there a simple way to test the video interface? Maybe there is some kind of echo function, which just shows everything I do on the calculator on the monitor?

The video interface is used by the HP41 in the same way than a printer.

For a quick test, you can try printing commands such as: PRX, PRSTK, PRFLAGS, PRREG
To get a trace of the operations on the HP41 to the monitor, set one (or both) of the flags 15, 16.

You may look in the printer section of the HP-IL manual for more details.

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby Garth » Sun Feb 09, 2020 8:12 pm

I'll second what jeffcalc wrote. You might have to put the HPIL address in X and do SELECT (in MANIO) so the 41 isn't looking for a actual printer (I have not tried it), but this is my CAT 2 with the HP92198 80-column interface:
CAT2_12-12-17.jpg

jeffcalc wrote:
flowerking wrote:Is there a simple way to test the video interface? Maybe there is some kind of echo function, which just shows everything I do on the calculator on the monitor?

The video interface is used by the HP41 in the same way than a printer.

For a quick test, you can try printing commands such as: PRX, PRSTK, PRFLAGS, PRREG
To get a trace of the operations on the HP41 to the monitor, set one (or both) of the flags 15, 16.

You may look in the printer section of the HP-IL manual for more details.

J-F
Garth

Return to HP-IL