ILPer

82160A

ILPer

Postby Duncan » Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:34 pm

Hi All
Does anyone know how to create a virtual IL loop over 2 PC's using TCP/IP to connect 2 instances of ILPer 1 on each PC?
Thanks
Duncan
Duncan

Re: ILPer

Postby mike-stgt » Sun Mar 22, 2020 2:09 am

How did you do the TCP/IP setup? May be by starting ILPer and its system menu? -- System menu?? Yes, a left mouse click on the application's icon in the upper left corner of the dialog window. Near the bottom of the menu you find the item "TCP/IP Setup..." Click it and a dialog window opens, title "HP-IL Interface Setup". Designation of the first field is "Out TCP/IP Address:" and the value is typically "localhost" what is synonymic for 127.0.0.1 what is one of the well known TCP/IP address of the computer on which you are running ILPer right now.

To connect the virtual IL to another machine you need to know the TCP/IP address of the other machine in question. Put this address in the Out TCP/IP address field. On the other machine start a virtual-IL program with the In Port set to exacly the same number set as Out Port on the first machine. To close the loop do the same again vice versa. May be the two pages in Virtual Loop.pdf attached could help too.

I myself use sometimes another machine in the virtual IL. It is a mainframe running z/VM. In case you are nosy find attached one of the ways I use it.
Attachments
Delta Sniffer.zip
VM/CMS application to use with virtual IL.
(108.14 KiB) Downloaded 1838 times
Virtual Loop.pdf
Two slides with text to tell, an excerpt.
(152.36 KiB) Downloaded 1819 times
mike-stgt

Postby Duncan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 6:34 am

Hi Mike
Thanks for your help. I shall investigate and let you know how I get on
Duncan
Duncan

Postby Duncan » Sun Mar 22, 2020 8:13 pm

Hi Mike
Brilliant! thanks for your help got it working
Duncan
Duncan

Postby mike-stgt » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:15 pm

There is an error (or doubtful statement) in the notes of slide three of the presentation. You find it in the ZIP only, the PDF is an excerpt of it (slides 5 and 6).

The statement in question is
... devices within a car communicate via TCP/IP."
That may hold true for third party devices like your mobile phone, but for devices within the car there exists for some time a CAN bus, Controller Area Network, which is also used to operate model trains.
mike-stgt

Return to HP-IL