talk-only, listen-only system

82160A

talk-only, listen-only system

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:20 am

A talk-only, listen-only system without controller is somewhat off-topic for a site about "everything HP41". But since V41 is virtual-IL-enabled it is close enough to be posted here.

An example for a talk-only, listen-only system might be a voltmeter logging readings on a printer. An HP82162A could be used in such a setup. So I added the L2 interface function to my simulation. As measuring device I butchered the same simulation, reused the HPIL drudgery, added the T5 function (act on local message ton) and a routine reading the wall clock. This "clock read out" is a nice example from 1979 of Mike Cowlishaw, the developer of REXX.

I proudly present the (to my knowledge) first working virtual HP-IL setup without controller.
The result:
qtime.png
Time running down
qtime.png (1.05 KiB) Viewed 33996 times

Find the talk-only device for this test in attached ZIP, the oo82162A simulation with listen-only option will be published soon.

Edit: ZIP removed, find update further down
Edit: link to oo82162A corrected
Last edited by mike-stgt on Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:29 am, edited 3 times in total.
mike-stgt

Re: talk-only, listen-only system

Postby mike-stgt » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:07 am

There are rumours about more active listener devices to follow. [...]
I'm not up to date if it came true, nevertheless I regard this append as obsolete now.
Last edited by mike-stgt on Sun Nov 20, 2022 1:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
mike-stgt

Postby Jeff G » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:04 pm

Very cool.

Since HP-IL is identical to HP-IB (the former being a token ring version of the latter bus-based system), this should definitely work like this. You can do similar things with HP-IB (now called GPIB or IEEE-488 by most people).

The typical use is connecting a printer to a piece of test equipment, and then being able to print the screen of a measurement without having to define addresses for either printer or instrument. The "PASS CONTROL" feature was originally for this situation but where the instrument was also being controlled by a computer (then the computer is controlling TALKER and LISTENER as the CONTROLLER). This is analogous to using an HP-41 to talk to an HP-IL peripheral or even to tell an instrument (like the 3468A DMM) to print directly to the printer under computer control instead of thing the front-panel "PRINT" feature (the 3468A doesn't have as screen to print but you can tell it to internally self-trigger measurements and then send every measurement to a printer).

HP-IL duplicates the same features from HP-IB.
Jeff G

Postby mike-stgt » Wed Aug 18, 2021 11:20 pm

My talk-only virtual-IL example uses a program from Mike Cowlishaw. Now I find it in the internet with an unmistakable stipulation about the permission to use which is missing in the copy I had as yet. That is why I change my program and substitute original qtime.exec by qtime.rex in the ZIP.

If you previously downloaded this bundle please replace it by this update.
tondev.zip
Talk-only test device, << 42 years of REXX, 41 years of HP-IL >>-update
(18.11 KiB) Downloaded 2022 times
Note: This virtual talk-only device still works under Windows 7 and ooRexx before version 5.oo. See next append for an update.
mike-stgt

Postby mike-stgt » Wed Oct 04, 2023 3:12 pm

Windows 10 and ooRexx 5.oo force me to update this virtual talk-only device.
tondev.zip
For ooRexx 5.oo under Windows 10
(18.12 KiB) Downloaded 1753 times
This ZIP contains:
qtime.rex -- Mike Cowlishaw's original REXX example from 1979 (still works as console program),
tClock.rx -- an ooRexx routine simulationg a talk-only device,
tClock.ini -- for easy setting of few settings.

How to do it?
    Windows and ooRexx 5.oo are prerequesites.
  • Start tClock.rx,
  • start a a listen-only device like oo82162A with option LON,
  • if no self-acting start of HP82240B simulation is set in oo82162A then start it yourself,
  • watch print stripe, enjoy.
mike-stgt

Return to HP-IL