ILVideo80 "HP 92198" : how it works?

82160A

Re: ILVideo80 "HP 92198" : how it works?

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Thu Apr 07, 2022 12:29 pm

I just wanted to know what happens at somebody here using the ILVideo. If no-One is using it and can explain what he experienced on its windows machine, thats fine.
It has (yes) nothing to do directly with HP-IL.
floppy_stuttgart

Postby mike-stgt » Thu Apr 07, 2022 10:00 pm

floppy_stuttgart wrote:I just wanted to know what happens at somebody here using the ILVideo.
You'd like to know "what happens at me" -- mental or emotional? -- using ILVideo80? Well, honestly, I am happy as can be that it works quite similar as described in the accompanying help file.
If no-One is using it and can explain what he experienced on its windows machine, thats fine.
It's great fun, frankly, a quintessentially recommendable experience, without compromise, right from the start.
HTH
mike-stgt

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:28 pm

Nutzlose Antwort.
floppy_stuttgart

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Fri Apr 08, 2022 12:31 pm

rprosperi wrote:The manual for the 80-Column display interface can be found here: http://www.hhcworld.com/files/compendiu ... manual.pdf

Thanks.
In fact I just realized that having ILPER is enough for me now. ILVideo80 additionally to ILPER on my PC screen dont add anything.
floppy_stuttgart

Postby mike-stgt » Fri Apr 08, 2022 3:40 pm

floppy_stuttgart wrote:Nutzlose Antwort.

For sure it's a futil reply, fittingly your query how to use a Windows program under WINE under Linux in a forum "All about the HP-41C caclulators". That's as asking for "100 g liverwurst, pleeease" in a flower shop, you will probably also get a remark like "sie sind wohl Pfälzer."
mike-stgt

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:13 pm

SOLVED (was a "wine" issue).
https://askubuntu.com/questions/1023808 ... f-a-window
Code: Select all
Run winecfg, go to "Graphics", and either [b]uncheck "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows"[/b] or check "Emulate a virtual desktop"

Result in the attachment.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-04-09 13-56-07.png
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-04-10 15-37-48.png
floppy_stuttgart

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Wed May 25, 2022 11:26 am

Since the window appearance was solved, a new topic with the HP41 hardware; see the attachment.
Now, how to have the outputs to IL-Video, too, in the setup described hereafter
a) hardware HP41 & Pilbox
b) Pil-Box-Bridge
c) Ilper
d) IL-video
Looks like the video get forgotten. not sure of this (however, that video is not mandatory since ilper has the printer area).
Any advice is welcome.
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-05-25 13-02-37.png
floppy_stuttgart

Postby floppy_stuttgart » Wed May 25, 2022 1:50 pm

Comment to the previous Post: when the in/out port setup is different, then the Video can be used.. but nomore the printer (new issue).
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto vom 2022-05-25 15-30-35.png
floppy_stuttgart

Postby jeffcalc » Thu May 26, 2022 8:16 am

I guess it's my turn to answer :-)

floppy_stuttgart wrote:Now, how to have the outputs to IL-Video, too, in the setup described hereafter
a) hardware HP41 & Pilbox
b) Pil-Box-Bridge
c) Ilper
d) IL-video
Looks like the video get forgotten. not sure of this.

Not sure to understand well what "video get forgotten" can mean.

floppy_stuttgart wrote:Comment to the previous Post: when the in/out port setup is different, then the Video can be used.. but nomore the printer (new issue).

Maybe this clarifies a bit the question.
So is the question "How to send print commands to both ILPer printer and IL-video" ?
If you mean simultaneously, the answer is: no for most print commands.
If you mean in turn, yes it's easy, just SELECT the targeted printer/video device.

More generally, the use of SELECT on the HP-41 is convenient for most simple configurations (it was the goal of the HP-41 HP-IL design), but is not as flexible as the HP-71B addressing scheme.
Especially with this setup with 2 drives and 2 printer-class devices, there are for instance impossible tasks, such as getting the catalog of drive 2 listed on the ILPer printer (if someone finds a way, let me know!)

But the fun is in the experimentation !

J-F
jeffcalc

Postby mike-stgt » Thu May 26, 2022 10:45 am

jeffcalc wrote:Especially with this setup with 2 drives and 2 printer-class devices, there are for instance impossible tasks, such as getting the catalog of drive 2 listed on the ILPer printer (if someone finds a way, let me know!)

In contrast to other programs simulating a single virtual IL device ILPer is quite handy and offers a bundle of the mostly used ones. The description shows how their internal sequence may be altered. Result see screen shot below. First I executed LCAT, its output is automatically displayed on the video device, next I did SF 15 to get following commands traced. 3 SELECT is still shown on the 82163A while DIR and its output is printed on the ILPer display as requested.
DIR drive 2 on ILPer.png
Output of DIR from 2nd disk shown on ILPer's printer
You know, the impossible we do right away while wonder take a little longer ;)
But the fun is in the experimentation !
No comment -- what could be taken as an offending comment so let me state more precisely, I prefere a good documentatation that pictures all features of a program so I may decide what's useful for me and my goal. Trial and error is like looking for easter eggs, quite impossible to find that way how to change the internal sequence of devices bundled within ILPer.

HTH
M.
mike-stgt

PreviousNext

Return to HP-IL